Thread: canister filter vs bags

canister filter vs bags

I am still debating on what to do for my dust collectors as far as filtering. I have two DC both Jet, one four bag 1900 and one two bag 1100. I use the 1100 for the table saw only. I use the 1900 for the everything else, jointer, drum sander, router, etc. I have a thien baffle in front of the 1900 that does a good job. I think my bags are 30 micron, so they need to be replaced ASAP. I am leaning toward the Wynn paper filter canister. I am concerned about the drum sander plugging it up and the longevity of the paper filters. If I did bags I would get the 5 foot 1 micron AF bags. Has anyone switched back to bags and why?

Wynn will give better advice than I but I do the opposite. My wide belt is on a four bagger with Beane Bags and everything else is on a cyclone with Wynn Nanofilters. If you preseparate enough to keep the chips out of the cartridges, they will give better airflow. Sanding dust will get through the separator and into the filters so bags are easier to clean and if you get good ones - good filtration. Dave

Will, I had a wynn filter on my single stage for years, it needed a lot of cleaning quite often. Then I switched over to a JDS canister with flaps. I would then only clean the filter when the lower bag was full and needed changing. When I added my drum sander to the mix, the cannister filter would get caked pretty quick, even moving the flaps every few minutes, fines/flower was still a problem.

Now installing a 3hp cyclone without the filter, the CFM is incredible and just a small amount of fines/flower left after sanding...

William,

Years ago, when I bought a 1 1/2 HP Onieda cyclone, the manual warned that sanding would fill the filter faster than anything else. They were right. I removed the filter and vented it outside.

When I moved, and got a larger sander and a 3 HP Onieda, I vented it outside also. A light coating of dust around the vent pipe, otherwise no evidence of dust outside.

Of course, I live in a warmer area than you.

Rick Potter

I use the Wynn nano filter on my delta 1 1/2 hp dust collector but I also pre-separate with a super dust deputy. Before getting the sdd my cartridge filter was always clogged and really hard to clean.

Ted, care to share which 3 hp cyclone you went with and why?

John Hollaway

John, I had my eye on either the Super Dust Gorilla or the Pro series from Oneida. My old cannister 2hp 110v single stage was just a PIA to keep the cfm high. I was constantly cleaning the cannister. I tried everything from a baffle to a chimney but the maintenance was driving me crazy. I am really busy and don't have the time to keep taking the DC apart trying to keep it clean. Adding this Woodmaster 2675, 5hp drum sander to the mix was it, and a cyclone had to be purchased.

Power is limited in my small shop, so amp draw was a major concern. With all the info on the web and taking to other shop owners, I found out a 3hp 220v motor would work in my shop while running another 220v tool off the same 30 amp circuit. I found that Oneida had the lowest amp draw with one gate open.

I have been looking on CL and eBay for close to a year for a good used system, as I did not want to pay the new price plus the $400.00 shipping from Oneida was crazy. Lucky for me a shop owner in the same town I reside had his Pro 1500 system with close to 40' of 7", "6 and 5" spiral pipe plus 5 and 6" blast gates, flex, wall mount bracket and remote for $500.00 less that what Oneida was selling the cyclone alone for.

I was also able to vent outside, this was a major factor in deciding on a cyclone as now I never have to clean any filter or worry about drop in cfm...