Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Corian Vector Table Version 3

Lookin good Keith, When will you be willing to sell one of these? I'd like to talk.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 03-16-2013 at 3:08 PM.
    Universal PLS 6.75 75 watt
    Trotec Speedy 300 60 watt

Keith,
    I really like the idea of using the Corian to make a vector table. It would make collecting small pieces much easier. With your design would there be much flex with a piece measuring 16X12? Would there be any advantage of using Aluminum for a frame? You could save a couple of pounds if you where to use Square tubing or U-Channel.

Respectively,
    Nathan

Nathan,

There is no flex in this style vector table and it wouldn't be a problem no matter what size. Using Dupont Corian adhesive to join the table surface with the supports provides a permanent connection. Using aluminum or any metal for the frame would probably weaken the table as joining two different materials would not be as strong as the Corian adhesives bond. Also cleaning the table would most likely be more difficult with dissimular materials.

Collecting small pieces is a snap. When I cut hundreds of 5/8" tall letters from a sheet I place a piece of cardboard on top, flip the table over and leave the cardboard on a table ready to sort the letters and numbers.

This new design is much lighter than the first two because I only use one sheet of Corian for the table. In the past I glued two half inch pieces together and then I machined the prisms. Improving the supports has made the table stronger and lighter at the same time.

Keith,
    I guess my real question is if there is no flex, then why have the supports? But then I realized it is so that you can pick it up. It has been too long since I have made anything.

Respectively,
    Nathan
    Former Air Force Machinist
    Laser engraving apprentice

Nathan,

Sorry, I misunderstood your inquiry I guess. The supports are what provides the necessary rigidity to keep the table flat. When you remove as much material from the table machining the prisms the piece looses some of its ability to remain flat. Adding the supports takes care of this problem and lifts the table off of the engraving bed. Now you only have two contact points that make it easier to adjust the level of the vector table as necessary.