Thread: Another Jet/Powermatic question !!!

Another Jet/Powermatic question !!!

Sorry to bother you guys, but my new Jet 3520b (Powermatic 3520b but sold under Jet brand name in Europe (or the other way round?)) is being delivered next Tuesday so I have a question for you 3520b users out there, do I need to/will the motor and/or bearings need running in before I can slap on a big chunk of wood??? Or is it safe to just start using it straight away as normal???
    the second lathe I ever owned from new (record power cl4) had to be run in for 2 hours before using it for the first time, so thought I had better check with you 3520 owners out there first!!!
    my dvrxp needed NO run-in period so I doubt the 3520 needs it either but thought I had better ask the experts first ;-)

Many thanks!!!

I've had the PM 3520b for 3 years. No run in time indicated in manual and it has worked perfectly from initial start-up. ENJOY!

same here. have fun.

The only break-in required for a lathe is to cover it immediately with shavings! Just not wet shavings unless you protect and clean the ways to avoid rust on the shiny new surfaces, and wax wiil not do as well as WD 40.

congratulations, enjoy

Cheers guys, tomorrow I think I will have a look in my air drying pile for a nice 16-20inch blank and put it to one side ready for my new arrival, I can't wait for it to arrive ( I just know this weekend is going to drag on and on!!!)
    maybe If I stay in bed time might go faster ( I'am like a kid counting down to Christmas )

Thanks again!!!

Don't forget to stop turning once in a while to eat and sleep!!!
    Philip