Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stupidity should be painful!

Stupidity should be painful!

I was reloading my brad gun with 1 1/4" nails (without removing it from the air hose) and, when I slammed the receiver home the gun fired. My left index finger was somehow in front of the gun and this is the result. They had a few chuckles at the local Emergency room! I have to say that the anesthetic injections hurt a lot more than the nail in my finger. They offered me the brad as a souvenier but I told them I still had plenty more at home. All is well...it missed the bone and I should be as good as new in a couple of days. As it is regarded as a "through and through" I will have to keep an eye out for infection.

I will long remember that first moment after I looked at my finger and thought..."Really? How stupid is that?"

Tenderly,

Ron

OOPS!.jpg

I hope you didn't nail the finger to the table top. BTW, who took the photo? Hope you are feeling better soon.

I took the photo. My finger was completely numb from the impact so I thought "Why not?" The entry point was on the other side of my finger.

Hmmm...the local is wearing off. Perhaps it's time for something medicinal?

Ron

Been there before. They really hurt the next day when that subcutaneous bruising sets in.

Sorry to read and see your accident, but glad it wasn't more severe. I think I'm going to disconnect the air hose when reloading from now on. Thanks for being willing to share your misfortune. And it if helps any, I've had to use home medicinal remedies once or twice.

John

Ouch!!! Do I understand you correctly in saying that you shot the brad from the inside of your finger? So were looking at the 'bottom' of brad that should be buried in the material and NOT your finger?

Your like me... I take pics of everything.

I was eating some Tilapia of few weeks back and I felt a sharp stabbing in my tongue. It was a bone stuck about 1/4" in my tongue. I had my wife take a pic first.

I hope your finger heals swiftly.
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

More is DEFINITELY more!!!

That's correct! I was holding the damn thing in my left hand and pushing on the retaining clip with my right hand. I still have no idea why it fired because neither hand was near the trigger but, when it did, my index finger was right over the nail opening. As soon as my finger heals, the firt thing I'm going to do is tear down the gun to figure out why it fired.

Ron

OOPS2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Dunn View Post
    .. I take pics of everything.
    I was eating some Tilapia of few weeks back and I felt a sharp stabbing in my tongue. It was a bone stuck about 1/4" in my tongue. I had my wife take a pic first.
    Where's the retaining clip on a fish?

Did you heal cleanly, or do you whistle when you run up the stairs?

Owie...

A good reminder Ron - I dont like reading these posts, but if I can capture some of these images in my brain to pull up the next time I am loading, it will help motivate me to pay attention to safety procedures in every way.

As a side note - its not just during loading. I shot a framing nail through the tip of one of my fingers a couple years ago. I just got a little lax while framing up a wall and was holding a board while shooting through another into it. It decided that half way through it would turn at a right angle and shoot out the side. I knew it happens from time to time, but let my holding hand drift up a bit close to where it should have been.

Heal fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I hope you didn't nail the finger to the table top. BTW, who took the photo? Hope you are feeling better soon.
    If he hadn't taken the picture SOMEBODY would have said "no pics, didn't happen" .

Ron, many years ago I was using a two inch staple gun to build a crate where I used to work. I pushed the tool against the wood pulled the trigger and it shot one, jumped off the wood and slammed back onto the wood ascew as I still had the trigger depressed, shooting a large staple into the big knuckle of my hand holding the two pcs of wood.
    I was very fortunate that the staple hit the bone and came right back out. Didn't even feel it much; until the next day when it was really stiff and sore!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Kellison View Post
    How stupid is that?"
    OK. I'll say it. "That was Stupid".

Really though. I've never done that, so I'll feel the pain with you.
    It's gonna be more than a few days to get over that one.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Ouch!!!!

How on earth did that miss the bone? It's right in the middle of your finger!

In my experience stupidity is painful. I endure a lot of pain.

I wish you rapid healing.

tom

I feel pain just looking at the pictures. Hope you heal quickly
    Aspire to inspire before you expire.

SMC is user supported. Please consider donating. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Don't fell too stupid. A number of years ago, I did the same with a framing nailer. Fortunately for me the nail went through the air a couple of feet before going through my thumb. Pulled the nail out, put a bandaid on it, called the doctor to make sure my tetanus shot was up to date and went back to work. Soft tissue is so much easier than nailing a bone! Hope everything goes well.