Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stupidity should be painful!

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    Been there before. They really hurt the next day when that subcutaneous bruising sets in.
    You "nailed" it! I've been feeling my pulse in that finger all day. I was back in the shop today but didn't use the nail gun.

Ron

I grimaced and chills ran up my spine when I saw your finger. hope all goes well with the healing.

Been there...done that, but worse. I was using a coil nailer while adding trim to a deck and the gun jumped when i fired a nail (probably hit another nail or screw under the surface) and landed on my hand while still holding the trigger. The reason i say worse is because coil nails are collated with two strips of wire so there's two nubs with wire bits on the body of the nail...they went right through my finger. To make matters worse, the doctor did not want to cut the head off and just pull it the rest of the way though in the direction is entered because he was concerned that the removal of the head would leave the end to be pulled though rough and burred. So the genius decided to pull it out the other way, even though i said that the nubs and wire bits were no better than the perceived marring he was worried about (with regards to cutting off the head). Sure enough, he pulled it back though, and left a piece of wire in my finger... Oh but wait, it gets worse. I could see it just under the skin, it almost made it out. When i told him, he told me "no, that's not it" and proceeded to make multiple incisions in my fingertip during his hunt. Eventually he took me to the xray machine and located it, right where i told him it was in the first place. Grrrrrrr. Makes me wish I had simply cut the head off at the job site and pulled it out myself. Would have been far less damage and faster healing time.

What you say is really true though...did not hurt at all and the worst part was the needle. I tried to take a pic, but my phone would not work...I was disappointed about that, haha.
    Last edited by Bryan Mills; 03-17-2013 at 8:39 AM.

Haven't been there, hope I never do, hope you heal quickly. Maybe I'm a safety weenie in this particular regard, but I always disconnect the air. I had a 15g finish nailer shoot a round when reloading years ago, just after I got my first nail guns. It didn't hit me or anyone close, up it got my attention. I don't like bump fire guns either, except roofing nailers, though my framer can be set up that way for nailing of sheathing. Don't call it stupid, call it experience. Means the same thing, has a better ring to it.

Hmmm, I just happened to be looking at the user manuals for my Porter Cable brad and finish nailers last night (yeah, an exciting Saturday night) and they specifically say to connect the air supply BEFORE loading the nailer.

An explanation is in the long list of safety rules:

"Connect tool to air supply before loading fasteners, to prevent a fastener from being fired during connection. The tool driving mechanism may cycle when tool is connected to the air supply."

I feel your pain . Last month I nailed 2 fingers together with a 2 1/2" 16 gauge finish nail and once with a 2" 15 gauge staple . It happens

When framing my house I used a coil framing gun. I don't know how it happened but I shot a 16 gauge into my hand. It went in between the baby finger knuckle & the next one. Went under the skin between that & bone. The point came out where my thumb is attached. I buried the head into the skin. Grabbed it with pliers & pulled it out. Those barbs hurt a bit. Like ripping a fish hook through your hand. Put a little ointment & band-aid on and continue working....Part of the job i guess. My wife was more freaked out than I was.

And just to be fair from all this nail gun safety, I have seen as much damage done by a conventional hammer (saw a guy mash the tip of a finger while holding a roofing nail - there wasnt much left on the tip that resembled a finger.....

Get well soon!

People have been killed with hammers, but usually someone else was wielding them .My state executed a guy for 2 or 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Jolliffe View Post
    When framing my house I used a coil framing gun. I don't know how it happened but I shot a 16 gauge into my hand. It went in between the baby finger knuckle & the next one. Went under the skin between that & bone. The point came out where my thumb is attached. I buried the head into the skin. Grabbed it with pliers & pulled it out. Those barbs hurt a bit. Like ripping a fish hook through your hand. Put a little ointment & band-aid on and continue working....Part of the job i guess. My wife was more freaked out than I was.
    a number of people have been shot in the head and chest by a nail gun , sometime at a site across the wide street BUT IT'S IS NOT THE GUN FAULT

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    a number of people have been shot in the head and chest by a nail gun , sometime at a site across the wide street
    By the time a nail gun nail reached the other side of a street, there would be very little force left. Hard to imagine much damage could occur. Eyes notwithstanding.

Blog Entries
    Many years ago when I was a framer, I was nailing a top plate to a stud. The safety hit the top edge of the plate and16p nail flew threw the air and went through my hand that was holding the stud. I showed my boss & he laughed at me & said pull that @#$/ out and get your @$$ back to work. I can say, it hurts like heck after a day or 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    By the time a nail gun nail reached the other side of a street, there would be very little force left. Hard to imagine much damage could occur. Eyes notwithstanding.
    you are possible right not much damage will occur even if you get hit in your head by a nail and do not know that you got hit by a nail