Thread: Leg glue up

Leg glue up

I have a small project to build three very simple tables (16x16x16). Nothing fancy, just four legs, a top, and skirts. I have some extra 1x5 clear pine so I was thinking of using this for the legs by face gluing three pieces together then slicing them in half. Anyone ever done something like this (the glue-up)? What is the best way to approach the glue up? (i.e. cut to finished size first or glue while still 4 1/2 "? Glue all three pcs at a time or glue two then repeat for the third? Is there one kind of glue that might work better than traditional tite bond? I'm not worried about seeing the glue line (within reason).

Thanks!
    Last edited by Maurice Arney; 03-16-2013 at 10:32 AM. Reason: spelling

Titebond is fine and it sounds like you can glue all at one time.If you use pine that is not newly planed you should at least sand it to remove the pitch that tends to move to the surface ,or bond will be weak.

Even the best glue up of layers will reveal the seam lines so in such a case I am careful to consider how I want those lines to read and prep my stock accordingly. Most often that means that I glue up 3 equal thick pieces with minimal finishing factor on the outside faces.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I would also err on the side of caution and pre-cut the pieces to be mated to their approximate final dimensions. With 5" of width there is a real chance that minute cupping and other imperfections will be very visible along the glue lines that will be revealed after cutting the piece into the final parts.
    Also, gluing-up smaller pieces may help with the selection of the most reasonable grain pattern/orientation.
    To understand recursion, one must first understand recursion

Quote Originally Posted by Darius Ferlas View Post
    I would also err on the side of caution and pre-cut the pieces to be mated to their approximate final dimensions. With 5" of width there is a real chance that minute cupping and other imperfections will be very visible along the glue lines that will be revealed after cutting the piece into the final parts.
    Also, gluing-up smaller pieces may help with the selection of the most reasonable grain pattern/orientation.
    Good points Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Titebond is fine and it sounds like you can glue all at one time.If you use pine that is not newly planed you should at least sand it to remove the pitch that tends to move to the surface ,or bond will be weak.
    Thanks for the tip. There is some pitch leaking out.

If you work with pine a lot it could make sense to get a quart of turpentine to clean the pitch. Use recommended precautions when working with turpentine.
    To understand recursion, one must first understand recursion

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Arney View Post
    I have a small project to build three very simple tables (16x16x16). Nothing fancy, just four legs, a top, and skirts. I have some extra 1x5 clear pine so I was thinking of using this for the legs by face gluing three pieces together then slicing them in half. Anyone ever done something like this (the glue-up)? What is the best way to approach the glue up? (i.e. cut to finished size first or glue while still 4 1/2 "? Glue all three pcs at a time or glue two then repeat for the third? Is there one kind of glue that might work better than traditional tite bond? I'm not worried about seeing the glue line (within reason).

Thanks!
    I glue all three at once. I fire a pin into a couple places on the faces that will be glued together and snip them off to provide a grip. This prevents the pieces from surfing on the glue whilst clamping pressure is applied. I then resaw an 1/8" veneer from one show face and apply it to the exposed three ends to dress them up. A chamfer or roundover will hide the seam. This gives you three good show sides.

Kit-Hut-(12).jpg . Kit-Hut-(18).jpg . Kit-Hut-(26).jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I glue all three at once. I fire a pin into a couple places on the faces that will be glued together and snip them off to provide a grip. This prevents the pieces from surfing on the glue whilst clamping pressure is applied. I then resaw an 1/8" veneer from one show face and apply it to the exposed three ends to dress them up. A chamfer or roundover will hide the seam. This gives you three good show sides.
    Great idea! How do you get the pins in the correct location? Do you shoot them in from the outside?