Thread: kiln drying lumber

kiln drying lumber

I have approximently 1,500 board feet feet of red oak lumber that I want to have kiln dried. I have been unable to locate a kiln for hire here in northern Michigan. Does any one know where I can get this done. I do not want to air dry, I have done this in the past with unsatisfactory results, powder post beetles among other bugs. I have also built a solar kiln 20 years ago and do not want to go that route.
    Thanks,
    Phil

Have you tried Northern Michigan Hardwoods in Petoskey? They either own a kiln dryer or the kiln is owned by another family member.

Phil, I am a kiln operator. Oak is one of the more difficult species to dry correctly, and for maximum quality when dried green it needs to go in with similar woods, similar thicknesses, and similar initial moisture contents.

For my answer, I'm going to assume that your lumber is 4/4. Please advise me if it is a different thickness.

You have several choices, in terms of quality. First, find someone with the standard Virginia Tech solar kiln. It is designed for around 1200 bd ft of 4/4 oak. Solar kiln dry it for about 60 - 90 days, and then see if a larger kiln operator will add it in to their load once the load is below 20% MC.

Second, air dry the lumber yourself for about 6 months (presuming that it is 4/4), and then seek a local kiln operator to finish it off - again only adding it to their larger load when it is below 25% MC.

Third, find a local operator with a Nyle L53; these are sized for around 1500 bd ft of oak and you can have them do your lumber as a single load.

Fourth, air dry it yourself for 9 months or so (in your area) and then sterilize it in a home made sterilization chamber - similar to what was written up in FWW magazine at the end of 2011.

If your wood has already air dried for 3 - 4 weeks, you DON'T want to add it in with a load of green oak in a large kiln. If you do so, your lumber will develop a lot of surface checks.

Scott

Thanks for the replys. Yes my wood is going to be 4/4 it is still in the form of logs which have been cut 2 weeks ago. I am waiting for the snow to melt as that is when the woodmizer opperator will come over to saw them up. I am making more phone calls to find a kiln.
    Phil

Once you have the lumber sawn, immediately treat it with something like Timbor to prevent bug infestation, particularly PPB's. Also be aware that not all kilns heat the wood to the prescribed 132 degrees for for four hours to sterilize it. Even if they do, infestation can still occur later. Treatment with a borate product like Timbor or Bor-A-Care is a better option.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln