Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flattening large slabs question?

Quote Originally Posted by John C Bush View Post
    Hi Craig, I've done several slab table projects recently and used the hand planer. I think the router sled is a better idea and if you have several slabs to do, building a sled system would be a great idea. I visited City Hardwoods in Ballard(before they closed) and they had an angle iron frame that held a sled mounted on skateboard tires for longitudinal movement and and the router mounted to a plywood plate that moved cross grain on the sled. They had a dedicated table with a leveling mechanism to support from the bottom. I think it was just a series of bolts threaded thru the base. The slab I watched them do was heavy enough that wouldn't move during millng. If you haven't been to Urban Harwoods (2100 1st Av South in Seattle) it's worth a trip in to see the slab tables there. My fav was the claro walnut table ~~4-5' X10", marked down to $11,000 from $14,000!!!! Lot's of other great things to see and borrow ideas from. The Fine Woodworking Gallery has moved next door to UH from their old spot in Pioneer Square and has lot's of beautiful pieces as well.(If you make a trip in, take your significant other to La Pichet @ 1st and Virgiania for a nice French Bistro experience. I have a friend that has been getting logs, having them cut into slabs(sawyer in Oso with a 54" horizontal BS and lot's of experience cutting slabs), and having them kiln dried in Sultan. We will be making a flattening table at some point so let me know if you'd be interested participating. Also, Millwork Supply on 1st Av S. (past Safeco Fld) has a huge belt sander and they have sanded a coulpe of table tops for me before. Not sure if they still do or if slab size/weight limit availability. Good luck and need to see pics of what you are making. JCB.
    Hi John my slabs were cut at Oso ( bruce can cut 56") and will be brought to Sultan tomorrow. Millwork supply went up for auction 2 yrs ago and there sander only sold for $1500!! OB williams next door has the same size. I have heard of two places with monster planers, one is 60 I think at McKinnons furniture the other is a person in Sultan 72 inch maybe both I dont believe wont to plane for guys like me and you though.
    I have been to Urban Hardwoods and the FWW gallery as well. Both cool to stop in when nearby.
    I would be interested in helping out with flattening table so if you want send me a private message here and I will send my info back for the future.
    Thanks for info and ideas.

Here's about the simplest version of a router sled you can make:

IMG_5739.JPG

It took about 10 minutes to set up. That slab is about 2 x 5 or 6'. If I had to do a slab wider than my bench, I would just lay a few 2 x 4's or ripped plywood pieces across the bench first, then lay down the rails on them and proceed just like above. The power hand plane may indeed be faster, but the router sled is pretty much fool proof which makes it my first choice.

John

Seems like a combination of a router sled and hand power planer would be the best and fastest way.

Just make reference cuts with one pass of the router across the board about 6-8 inches apart and then hand power plane down to that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    Seems like a combination of a router sled and hand power planer would be the best and fastest way.

Just make reference cuts with one pass of the router across the board about 6-8 inches apart and then hand power plane down to that point.
    Might work with straight grain wood, but if you're using highly figured wood the tear out will defeat the purpose. Router sled and sanding seems to be the best way to go.