Thread: belt for oliver 159 lathe

belt for oliver 159 lathe

E bay auction # 150634045278 did anyone get this belt, seems about the best price.
    Plus, how do you compress the spring to remove the keepers. I can get the old one off, but probably not the new one with out dis assembly of the motor pulley.
    I think I am going to be replacing the motor too, it is under powered. I just put a 1/4 HP_ on at the time to get it going.
    Not looking to go with a 3 Ph. and VFD at this time.

I am getting it from a power transmission company here in Wheeling, Wheeling Rubber.
    He told me about $35.00.
    Still looking for Ideas on compressing the spring to remove the keepers.

I can't help you with the belt replacement, but the 159 is a nice lathe! Mine has a 3/4 horse single phase motor and has plenty of power.
    The OWWM forum has a few guys that are really knowlegable about the 159, you may have better luck getting help there.
    Paul

OK Thanks Paul, I am reading the posts from a search there. One said they were able to compress the spring by hand.

Any Ideas on this belt though?
    The thing is, with the old belt, it seems to work fine, but if I put the new belt on, I can not get the reeves drive to go all the way to the slowest position. It will only let me come down to about the 1,000 Rpm setting on the dial. Motor is said to be a 56 frame. I do have the inner motor pulley all the way on.
    It does appear to be centered.
    So, I am at a loss here.
    Thanks,
    Tony

Anthony, if you can be a bit patient, I bet I can dig into mine a little this weekend. Reeves usually have some sort of adjustment, now I'm curious!

Ok, sounds good.
    Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Diodati View Post
    One said they were able to compress the spring by hand.
    I just did this on mine. It's easy to get off, but with a new belt in position, it's a little tough compressing it by hand. It can be done.

Didn't you sell that yet,or did you decide to keep it.
    I got the belt on ok, I compressed the spring in a vise and zip tied it closed.
    I am just having the trouble where I can't get the speed dial all the way to low with the new belt on.