Thread: LD Clamps

LD Clamps

I've been looking for some light clamps for smaller parts. I saw these and assumed they were junk... but for the price I am really tempted to pick up a dozen or so. What do you think? http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-...amp-96210.html

I've never used one, but probably an OK light duty clamp. For just a few dollars more, why not just get a Jorgensen clamp? They'll last a lifetime, are largely still manufactured in the U.S., and you can actually get replacement parts.

http://www.adjustableclamp.com/barclamps.aspx

If orange isn't your color, go for the Bessey. Like the Jorgensen clamps, you're grandchildren will be using them long after you and I are gone.

http://www.besseytools.com/en/produc...01f3f000030023

It's tempting to go for the no name inexpensive tools, but I don't know a single woodworker who regretting buying good quality clamps. Sometimes quality costs quite a bit more - happily for bar clamps, it's just a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Rowe View Post
    I've never used one, but probably an OK light duty clamp. For just a few dollars more, why not just get a Jorgensen clamp? They'll last a lifetime, are largely still manufactured in the U.S., and you can actually get replacement parts.

http://www.adjustableclamp.com/barclamps.aspx

If orange isn't your color, go for the Bessey. Like the Jorgensen clamps, you're grandchildren will be using them long after you and I are gone.

http://www.besseytools.com/en/produc...01f3f000030023

It's tempting to go for the no name inexpensive tools, but I don't know a single woodworker who regretting buying good quality clamps. Sometimes quality costs quite a bit more - happily for bar clamps, it's just a little more.
    Well ya... I have probably three dozen jorgensen HD as well as a dozen or so Bessey clamps. But the other day I was gluing some small parts and wishing I had some inexpensive light clamps. A Jorgensen or a Bessey clamp this size will be more than double the price. I already have a not-so-small fortune in tools to pass down as heirlooms, I just thought that, for some pocket change, these might fill a need while I am alive. If you believe their flyer, and the normal price is $5.99, that would put them closer to the price of a Jorgensen. There is really no way to tell if they are junk or not without holding them in hand. I guess I was hoping someone had seen one at HF. BTW... I think Jorgensen clamps are made in China now. These could be from the same supplier with blue paint.
    Last edited by Maurice Arney; 03-18-2013 at 7:18 AM.

Yeah, I have seen them. Honestly, they aren't Jorgensens or Besseys, but they aren't bad at all. I don't know if I would count on them for crazy, high torque applications, but for your light duty, heck yeah. For that matter they seemed like they'd be fine for most applications. Seeing them at that price I might have to stop by and pick some up myself.

Jon

My experience is limited because i don't have access to so many different makers' clamps Maurice. Based on my localised experience though it seems like there are good quality clamps, and not so good.

I have mostly Bessey, but have been tempted to on occasion buy cheap F clamps much as you list. The good stuff tends to be made to tighter tolerances (some can be so bad they won't grip even when new), to work more sweetly (be smooth, free etc), and to use better steel (to wear well), to be well finished, and to as a result work more reliably. e.g. the ratchet/grip mechanism doesn't slip, threads are not sticky etc.

The cheaper stuff can on occasion be fine, and on occasion problematical. I typically end up buying mail order in the UK, so problems are hard (even with a co-operative supplier) slow and expensive (with shipping costs and times) to sort out. The result is that i don't like to buy cheap unless i can inspect, and even then have reservations.

One pet hate on clamps is plastic handles - on any sort of clamp. Experience says that cheap ones will often crack up in a few years. (UV embrittlement?) The chances that a good clamp will use a better quality polymer seem higher, but it's early days with the Besseys. Not sure though that plastic handles are a runner for a lifetime tool....

ian
    Last edited by ian maybury; 03-18-2013 at 7:48 AM.

For $2.99, if there were a HF nearby, I might grab a couple. Although the plastic handles might be enough to change my mind.

I just ordered these from Amazon for $4.99 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. With free shipping, this seems like a real good price for this clamp. I think they are around $8.00 everywhere else.

I have quite a few of those HF clamps. They aren't the greatest clamps on the planet but they work, especially for light duty stuff. I've even cranked'em pretty good once or twice and they didn't slip.

btw: The handles are kind of a rubber type grip. I have carpal tunnel in both hands so the extra little grip I get off of them is a bonus.

It may be that some will chime in to say that more recent plastic handles are OK, and that my experience wasn't typical. At $2.99 you could afford to buy some of the HFs and dump them if there are problems - at least it wouldn't suck you into returns and the like.

Those LMUs are a good little clamp - I have some and get great use from them on all sorts of jobs. Quite a bit smaller and lighter than an F clamp though (the pictures are deceptive), so it depends on what you want to use them for.

There's a lot to be said for having a good supply of small light clamps for use on less traditional jobs e.g. securing parts to drill holes, securing clamping squares and the like - full sized F clamps while stronger can be bulky and heavy and get in the way.

These little welding clamps Bessey do are also useful for similar light duty clamping jobs too. http://tiny.cc/2r74tw Smaller and much lighter than an F clamp, but a little bigger than the LMUs. (check the dimensions as they are smaller than they may look in the photos)

ian

They are actually not bad little clamps. They are obviously not as good as the more expensive clamps, but for LD stuff they are more than adequate. IMHO (and to answer your question) they are worth the $2.99...

I bought a few of those F clamps at Harbor Freight a couple weeks ago when they were on sale. Got 2 6" and 2 12". Compared them to the small F clamps Jorgy brand, look exactly the same, except for the plastic pads and the handles. I find the wood handles to be hard to get very tight, and the plastic ones I can get tighter. Looked like a good deal to me. Also bought a few 3" C clamps, 2.99 each as well.

I have a few of those clamps (the HF ones in the OP link) and they are not at all junk, I find them very useful. I have 6 and 12 inch sizes, and they hang next to my bench along with my quick-grips so I can grab them for all those little clamping needs. As noted, the grips are rubber, and very nicely "grippy". I think $3 each is a good deal on those.

Ken

Blog Entries
    I have 4 of the Jorgenson and a bunch of the harbor freight ones. They are okay for light clamping. I few have broken over the last couple years and the rubber pads fall off sometimes. But they work well for clamping stop block etc...
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    I have 4 of the Jorgensen and a bunch of the harbor freight ones. They are okay for light clamping. I few have broken over the last couple years and the rubber pads fall off sometimes. But they work well for clamping stop block etc...
    The Harbor Freight F clamps are a great value. I use lots of HF clamps. Jorgensen handscrews are now made in China and other Jorgy clamps are too. Lee Valley dropped the entire Jorgensen line because of this.

Shawn ,
    The Harbor Freight F clamps are warrantied for life. You must have a receipt,but one of my HF clamps broke after 2 years and I got a new one under warranty no problem.

The Jorgensen warranty is 1 year.
    Last edited by Andrew Joiner; 03-18-2013 at 11:16 PM.