Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

18 Mar 2013

Good Morning Everyone,
    Today is my youngest son's birthday.......16. My how the time flies. While this is a very important thing to me and my family, I also am in remembrance of a fine man who passed away on Friday, Lt. Col. George W. Dart. The Colonel as everyone called him was a fine man, ex-Air Force, father of several children, and a fine woodworker that never hesitated to share his woodworking knowledge with anyone. I had the awesome pleasure of visiting with The Colonel a few years back in his home in PA where I was able to visit him in his home, tour his shop, and share a home-cooked meal with him and his wonderful wife. George was a fine man, husband, and father. I am blessed to have known him, fellow-shipped with him and shared our love of woodworking together. So today, I want to give Honor, Respect, and Gratitude to "The Colonel" and his entire family. George.....my woodworking friend......I am honored to have known and shared a spot in life with you. Rest In Peace my friend.

Birthday celebration for my youngest son, and my #2 son starts his very first paying part-time job today. I wish him well.

That's it for me for this time around....so what did YOU do this past weekend?
    Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Saturday a friend and I went to pick up several hundred board-feet of lumber from a sawyer on the other side of the state. We met his helper 1/2 way and transferred trailer-to-trailer at a park and ride lot. We then went back to the friend's place and transferred it all off his trailer into his shop, my truck, and three other people's vehicles. Then I went home and transferred mine to my shop. All in fairly cruddy late winter weather. I ended up snickering mine and putting a fan on it as the ends and edges were damp. Luckily it was cold enough it mostly was ice rather than a real soaking and this is all rough-sawn so no harm.

My mom went out of town so we spent the rest of the weekend with my dad since he can't really be left alone. I finished setting up his new computer for him and recovered files and his Firefox profile from his old computer. Even got him set up on Skype. Sunday evening I got a start on what promises to be a long (maybe very long work week.)

No wood working this weekend.

I did however go to Diann's parents house and rewire the basement mudroom so that the lights are now controlled by 2 three way switches...........No fun fishing the new wire inside the walls etc, however it's done and they're happy now............Rod.

No time for any real woodworking to speak of this weekend. Made an apple box for one of my oil stones and then was inspired to use my oil stones, so I sharpened up my bench chisels:

I re-taped 2 shaker chairs I made over 20 yrs ago...I had built 6 of them and my wife wanted to change the color of the tape from blue to olive green. Ordered the tape online which had been back-ordered for a number of weeks...what a difference in the color and how tight the chair seats are now. The old chair seats had stretched and sagged over the years but with this new re-taping wow...like a drum!
    First chair took a few hrs to re-tape with the help of my wife...she went shopping and the second one took me about an hr...hmmm

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Your beliefs don't make you a better person...your behavior does."

Since the start of my shop a number of years ago, I have had a stack of plywood and other assorted lumber laying on the floor. The pile had grown until it was literally an eyesore and took up 20-25% of my shop floor. Back in January I began building a lumber rack. I was making half-lap joints with a router and jig when I drove the still turning router bit into my right wrist which delayed things a while. Then I traveled with my wife for 3 1/2 weeks to Illinois for a family get together. Last week I completed the lumber rack and began putting lumber in it. I hauled several containers of wood "shorts" too small to be of practical use to the dump. Saturday I continued with sorting and stacking lumber and putting unuseable scrap wood into garbage cans for transfer to the mulch station. I am very close to finally having my shop floor cleared for the first time in its history. Now I need to make a rack for my turning blanks but first my version of "Norm's Improved Deluxe Router Table".
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 03-18-2013 at 2:56 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I finally made a new front rack for my 1997 Polaris Sportsman 500 4x4.
    The original rack was made of molded plastic which broke from years of hauling chainsaws,fuel, logs, deer, wire, fence posts, hay etc.
    I glued together 2 pieces of 3/4" BCX plywood and then cut them to shape using the old rack as a general template, but I added about 25% to all the dimensions because I wanted it to be more versatile.
    Then I removed the railing from the rear rack and installed it on the new front rack. I didn't need the rear railing anymore because this weekend I also installed a great big new toolbox to the rear of the Polaris to hold all my everyday farmin' stuff.
    I primed and painted the new rack using exterior porch paint ( black). Then I installed anti-skid tape on top of the whole thing to keep the new paint from getting scratched up, and to keep things from sliding around.
    It looks amazing!

I use the Polaris more than any other vehicle on the farm and I want to personally thank Mr. Polaris for his invaluable gift to farmers worldwide.

Blog Entries
    The whole family was sick all weekend. We seemed to be off by about 24-48 hours. When one started feeling better another was feeling worse. Of course the dogs still needed walks and attention. The closest thing to woodworking was reading a forum...
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

9. Been in the process of building a large cross-cut sled to cut kitchen cabinet sides, but needed to extend the miter slots in my outfeed table to be able to assemble/use it. So Sunday, I finally cut the miter slots out instead of just thinking about it. Turned out just fine. I think way too much about doing things, and way too little actually doing them.....