Thread: Craftsman 102.01121 Band saw

Craftsman 102.01121 Band saw

Dick Reeves
    I have a Craftsman model 102.01121 12" band saw and would like to know where I can obtain the proper tires for it. I tried the urathane tires Carter has but since the wheels on the bands saw are flat (non flanged) with grooves in them the tires Carter sent me would not work. The person I finally spoke with (not prompt in returning phone calls and difficult to get the telephone number of technical person) Carter was very informative. He explained that the tires they sent were manufactured for a flanged wheel and not a flat one. He indicated that I needed a crowned tire which his company cannot supply nor could he direct me to anyone who could supply them.
    I realize this is a very old saw but I have the opinion that there are still a good number of the around. Any asistance or recommendations to solve this will be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.

call Iturra designs in florida. I bet he can help you. I just ordered a set for a much older 10 inch craftsman saw from him.

Have you tried the Sears parts site? They still have a lot of those old parts. I got parts for an old Craftsman 12" band saw less than a year ago, and most of the parts were in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by jared herbert View Post
    call Iturra designs in florida. I bet he can help you. I just ordered a set for a much older 10 inch craftsman saw from him.
    +1. he has probably forgotten more that most of us will ever know about band saws.

That IS an old one!!! That was made in 1939 by Walker Turner for Sears. Best od luck finding the tires you need. I would love to see a picture of the one you have.

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Baker View Post
    Have you tried the Sears parts site? They still have a lot of those old parts. I got parts for an old Craftsman 12" band saw less than a year ago, and most of the parts were in stock.
    Sears parts site has no results for that model number....

7. Quote Originally Posted by Sid Matheny View Post
    That IS an old one!!! That was made in 1939 by Walker Turner for Sears. Best od luck finding the tires you need. I would love to see a picture of the one you have.

Sid
    Are all of them from '39? Curious as I just got that model as well from my grandfather's garage.

I'll try to take some photos for hte files soon, it's in my storage center now as I don't have room at hime.

I also have an old Joiner that weighs some 60 pounds (probably a 6" blade) and a Craftsman model 113.29920 table saw.

PS - My band saw isn't actually marked Craftsman 102.01121, it's marked Sears 102.01121.

What's the size of your tires? Crowned tires have a slight arc that the blade rides on. I think you can still use urethane or rubber tireson flat wheels.

Blog Entries
    Sid caught it. The 102 prefix indicates Walker Turner as the maker of the Craftsman badge'd machine you have. Well worth the search but, you may end up having some urethane tires made just a bit small and stretching them on with a bit of adhesive.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Saw found

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Reeves View Post
    Dick Reeves
    I have a Craftsman model 102.01121 12" band saw and would like to know where I can obtain the proper tires for it. I tried the urathane tires Carter has but since the wheels on the bands saw are flat (non flanged) with grooves in them the tires Carter sent me would not work. The person I finally spoke with (not prompt in returning phone calls and difficult to get the telephone number of technical person) Carter was very informative. He explained that the tires they sent were manufactured for a flanged wheel and not a flat one. He indicated that I needed a crowned tire which his company cannot supply nor could he direct me to anyone who could supply them.
    I realize this is a very old saw but I have the opinion that there are still a good number of the around. Any asistance or recommendations to solve this will be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.
    I was at a scrap metal yard today and saw this saw. It was not in really bad shape and I may take it. I did notice that the tires on the wheels appeared to be leather. I thought that urethane would be a replacement, but I saw another posting that said they would not. There seemed to be a a groove in the middle. I wonder if urethane can be shaped. That failing, new tires could be made with leather and run sand paper to give the slight groove that I noticed.
    Any ideas out there as to whether this is a worthy undertaking?