Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A word about hearing protection.

A word about hearing protection.

Friends, please take this seriously!

I have tinnitus (ringing in the ears), caused by high frequency hearing loss. Most likely, my hearing loss was caused by running power tools without adequate hearing protection. I'd wear ear muffs for my larger woodworking machines (table saw, planer, routers, etc.), but I didn't bother wearing them for smaller tools like power drills, nail guns, etc. Big mistake!!

I will have tinnitus forever. It's a 24-hour loud, high-pitched, screaming nightmare. There is no cure, and the saddest part is that I could've prevented it!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE protect your ears!

Yours in sawdust,

- Jason White
    Last edited by Jason White; 03-19-2013 at 8:11 PM.

Jason
    I don,t have to worry about high frequency hearing loss, that happened many years ago when I was an USAF Marksmanship Instructor. You are correct, it can be prevented with proper hearing protection. Most of us learn after it's to late.

I'm with you guys. Started loosing hearing back when I thought I was bullet proof and didn't wear hearing protection while working in the engine room of the ship I was stationed on.

I get a hearing test every year at work and I've noticed the ringing is right at some frequencies during the test. It's almost like the ringing cancels out the test frequency and I can't hear it until it almost hurts.

I was involved with a interesting thread here at the Creek a couple of years ago. A young poster laughed when I offered to send him free of charge different types of hearing protection to try. Claimed he didn't need them or safety glasses, always wondered how or what he's doing.

Yes it's preventable if you take the precautions but like Jim said, most of learn after it's too late.

Jerry
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

I have had it for 40 years, brought on by shooting when in the army. My advise to anyone who has it is never read or research the condition because as soon as you do that it lifts your awareness. I am fortunate, mine is extremely loud, they can do tests BTW, but I have always had the ability to ignore it, some can't and there have been suicides due to the problem. My greatest fear would be to be in a dead silent place for a long time. It is getting louder as I get older, not nice at all!!
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Same here-Mine was mostly from tractors and farm equipment. USE HEARING PROTECTION ALWAYS
    "So much wood - So little time ! "
    Past President Western Mountain Woodturners
    Past President Maine Woodturners

Blog Entries
    27db Peltors for the last decade. Very happy. Thanks for the reminder. We can never share safety reminders, tips and stories enough.

Safety-001.jpg

There's no such this as a "just this once".
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have had loss of hearing, and ringing in my ears for a long time. Hearing aids help a lot. Obviously, they help you hear, and they also help with the ringing in the ears. Most of the time I don't notice the ringing in my ears.

Sam

So does that mean those of us who have tinnitus already DON'T have to wear hearing protection?

Yup. Tinnitus, hearing loss. Now just started wearing hearing aids this year.

Religiously wore ear protection when flying (which I used to do a lot of). Didn't seem to prevent the hearing loss, unfortunately.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hays View Post
    So does that mean those of us who have tinnitus already DON'T have to wear hearing protection?

I don't know if it means we don't HAVE to but I do because I bought hearing protection for my grandson so I not only want to set the example but when he is around he always brings out mine with his. I have had severe ringing/tinitus for 40 years but I figure wearing the hearing protection now might make what hearing I have now last a little longer.
    I have the same problem with skin cancer. My dermatologist reminds me to put on sunscreen and wear a hat at every visit even though I am paying for the sins of my youth with each visit.

What?

I tell you hearing aids in the shop is no fun
    Carpe Lignum

I have tinnitus related to a brain injury. I am lucky, I can ignore it for the most part. I do wear hearing protection regardless, as I would hate it if it got worse. Also, it is much easier to convince my 7 year old to wear hearing protection when I practice what I preach.
    Paul

Another thing to consider- if you wear foam ear plugs and are a person who sweats alot, when the plugs absorb the sweat, they become EXCELLENT conductors of sound. ie, they are worthless when wet. Gotta keep em dry to work right.

I lost about half my hearing when I was 5, due to a bicycle accident. Riding double, I was on the back. I wear hearing protection on my skidsteer and other farm equipment with no cab, but my shop is quiet compared to farm equipment, so I don't there. My DC is outside. And I have helical cutters on both the jointer and the planer.

I have Tinnitus also,it's directly work related,metal fabrication environment is extremely noisy ,I also learned to ignore it for the most part but there are days I feel like every body around me sound muffled when they talk.
    There are times the ringing is less noticeable ,but it is very random I can't pinpoint exactly why some days it's quieter than other and what triggers it to get louder..
    Hearing aids may help but I find wearing them more annoying than the ringing noise so I suppose mine is not that bad compare to some of you.there is nothing we can do except learn to ignore it.