Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A word about hearing protection.

Quote Originally Posted by ian maybury View Post
    Seems like hearing loss is a very similar issue to the problems that can develop with exposure to fine wood dust - another of these things that creeps up and isn't obvious until it's too late to do anything about reversing the damage already done. Dental mercury by the way is often another.

Tinnitus is a strange one. No doubt but that it can originate from noise, but it's also very linked to broader health issues. (stuff like ear infections and thyroid and blood pressure problems) The latter variety can sometimes be persuaded to go away...

ian
    Linked to other issues - I'm wondering about that. I get checked frequently (blood work, etc.) by my doc, the companies health program, wife's employer's health program, and all along nothing - no problems. Except for screwing up my back with a couple of hard falls. I *did* have scarlet fever long ago - perhaps that's the source of my tinnitus. Even if the cause was identified the knowledge of where it came from won't be providing the cure. There isn't a day that goes by where I don't wish it would stop.

For you guys w/ hearing issues (any issues, from partial to profound deafness, to tinnitus)...

do any of you have blood pressure issues?

No blood pressure problem here.

Some time ago I read an article about a local (to me) hospital in Milwaukee that was experimenting with a surgical method of eliminating tinnitus. While I can't find that exact article at this point, the link below is to a story that discusses the method I read about.

http://www.henryford.com/body.cfm?id...detail&ref=613

Well, they say they can do something about it. Don't know if it's true or hogwash. But, you'd probably be silly not to at least try it.

http://www.amazon.com/Clear-Products.../dp/B0014AX72I

Leo.....I hang out with a bunch of other deaf persons......some are even physicists, doctors and engineers......we all have tinnitus in one form or another. The group is large enough (12,000 IIRC) that I'm sure that product has been tried and if it had been found successful it would have been broadcast to all of us by now.....
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Well Ken, I'm not saying that you should try it. But it does exist. From the reviews it looks like it can work for some. Doesn't look like the cost is too much to give it a shot for a bottle. If it did work for you or someone else that would be great. If it didn't, it's not like you invested a whole lot.

I only have occasional intermittent tinnitus. It's really not a problem for me, at least not yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    For you guys w/ hearing issues (any issues, from partial to profound deafness, to tinnitus)...

do any of you have blood pressure issues?
    Only if 110-120/65-80 is an issue.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Got mine from working on flight decks on carriers and flying helicopters for 30 years. Good advise from Jason and I would add; Don't be afraid to wear double hearing protection, ie, foam ear plugs inside of hearing muffs. Noise countering headsets work wonders I am told. Too late for me to spend the money. Be smart and not go deaf! Philip
    Philip

Jason
    I have samething I drove 8 hrs. a day in work van doing hvac for utility I worked at with no AC. it would get to about 115f inside so I would open the window, wind noise did me in started wearing ear plugs after the fact trying to save what hearing I have left.

Blog Entries
    As a kid in the 60's I used to listen to a lot of loud music with headphones. Then I started snowmobiling in the 70's. Had one machine with a very loud high pitched ringing sound. Rode it 15 hours in one day and I was ready to pay $50 for a set of earplugs before the day was done. The helmet really helps, but now on long rides I use foam earplugs, no one else does. I have tinnitus, but not so bad that it is a huge annoyance. My hearing has definitely taken a beating, but I'm not ready for a HA yet. Tried them but there was no wow factor. Sure I will end up with them though. Don't get to many concerts any more, but once I took a set of foam earplugs with me, and what a difference! You still get he thumping in your chest, but the music is so much more intelligible and enjoyable. Got a set of Bose noise cancelling headphones, those things are amazing on the plane. In the shop I wear earmuffs or foam earplugs, but only when using the router, belt sander or planer. The rest of my tools are under 85 dB. And I wear earmuffs on my ZTR mower. Have an app on my IPhone which is a decibel meter, very interesting to pull it out any time you are wondering how loud something is. If I am just doing sound measurements, I go to the Radio Shack digital dB meter.

I was born with a high frequency hearing loss accompanied with tinnitus. I have learned to live with tinnitus and can actually tune it out until I think about it. Hearing aids drive me nuts and while they do help me to hear better I can't stand to wear them. I like my more quiet world and manage to get by fine. Now the tinnitus is always with me but I just ignore it most of the time. As for hearing aids, I do have a very expensive pair and they are programmable. I still hate them.

Like others who have commented, I wish I had good hearing but it is just not in the cards for me. For those that do have good hearing I urge you to take care of it.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Phil,

My personal physician is shocked I don't have high blood pressure when you consider my size and sedentary life style.

My deafness is probably due to 2 factors.....1. I have been diagnosed with Meniere's disease which effects both hearing and balance. I have taken a diuretic daily for over 13 years to hold debilitating vertigo attacks at bay and profound hearing loss in one ear and total deafness in the other. 2) I was exposed daily to jet aircraft noise when I worked in air traffic control maintenance for 5 years in the US Navy and ran up and down runways and waited on runways for clearance and other personal noise environments that I could have controlled and didn't. Mind you, the US Navy offered us hearing protection and I elected to not use it.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Pure snake oil!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason White View Post
    Pure snake oil!!
    Huh? Not following you here.
    Paul

Probably talking about me.