Thread: wood magazine Dust-collecting Tool Stand

wood magazine Dust-collecting Tool Stand

In the May issue of wood magazine they build a Dust-collecting Tool Stand

dust collecting tool stand.gif
    What if i took the right side extension wing and router table off my Delta contractors table saw put the router on the left side of the saw and build one of these and put it on the right? Then i would have the dust collector right at the saw no more hose to step on or trip over.

Would changing the size to fit the saw make a big difference? or would building the WOOD Magazine cyclone dust collector and hanging it in the corner be better ?

My shop is only 12x16 so every square inch of space counts.

Robert, I have not seen the issue, but that photo puzzles me. I also have a compact shop (11x22) so my planer is on a flip-top stand. Two tools in the space of one seems to be the way to go IMHO.

That picture, to me, makes the planer stand BIGGER. Are you supposed to swap tools on and off the stand so that you can share it's dust-collecting use?
    "It's Not About You."

Art,

Just to clarify on the design: The all-wood section under the guy is the "cyclone" side where the big stuff falls out of the airstream ahead of the blower. The low, white portion is the "filter" side, where the fines are captured downstream of the blower. The white panels are filters.

And yes, the article's wording suggests tools are swapped. "You need only run a flex hose from [the dust-collecting tool stand's] 4" side port to any dust-spewing machine, be it nearby or sitting on [the stand's] sturdy worksurface."

I was thinking of the same idea. I have wanted to build a table saw station for some time, but now I might try to include the dust collection rather than just storage. I wish the article had shown more of the performance of the dust collection. The Grizzly DC that they used is only rated at 537 CFM and they don't list what the filter media is rated. Is it 30 micron, 5, 1?? I might finally use the HF coupon for their 2HP dust collector and use the motor/blower for this project. Good luck with your build. Rockler has similar planes for their dust collecting table using the Dust Right components.