Thread: Finish ideas for cherry pantry

Finish ideas for cherry pantry

I'm fairly new to the world of finishing, in the past I've always just used the standard water based polyurethane. I am in the process of making a pantry for my kitchen. It's 7' tall by about 3' wide, with cherry plywood sides and solid cherry face frame. The doors are solid cherry raised panel. I'd like to use something that is somewhat more appropriate for a cherry piece than poly. We haven't decided on color yet, though we tried some Old Masters Crimson Fire on the sides and like the look of that but when we tried that stain on the solid cherry it was very blotchy and did a great job of hiding the beautiful grain of the cherry. So I just got some dye and will be messing around with that. Once we get a color, what would be a good choice for the finish? Preferably something that a novice finisher can do but that will also leave me with a nice, durable luster. We don't want gloss, rather something more rich looking.

Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks
    Stan
    I Pledge Allegiance to This Flag, And If That Bothers You Well That's Too Bad - Aaron Tippin

If it were me I would let the cherry age naturally. It turns a wonderful color on it's own. If I were to apply a finish I would probably use two coats of super blonde shellac @ a 1 lb. cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Thompson View Post
    If it were me I would let the cherry age naturally. It turns a wonderful color on it's own.
    Does the cherry plywood turn color as well? I know it takes stain differently so I don't know.
    I Pledge Allegiance to This Flag, And If That Bothers You Well That's Too Bad - Aaron Tippin

It has for me. I have never tried to stain/dye it. Set it out in the sun after it is all prepped and reaady to finish. As a test use a scrap piece and lay a small solid object over it. One should be able to tell the change after one day. I usually leave it out about a total of 46 hours. This gives a good base. I the solid turns darker just leave the plywood out longer. It, all of the cherry, will slowly darken as time passes and provides a rich red/brown tone valued by most people. You will see the grain much better and have the in the wood look and feel.
    This is just my preferance and many other like it to.

Several years ago my dad put in a full kitchen of cherry cabinets constructed of cherry ply and solid face frames. The doors, I believe (obviously solid frames), have a 1/4" two sided cherry ply flat shaker style panel. All of the cherry, including the ply parts, seems to have aged at about the same rate for what it's worth.

OK, I can read. I would recommend a wiping varnish, easy to apply with nothing more than lint free paper towel, and looks great on cherry. You can make your own, or you can buy a commercial one. I really, really like Arm-R-Seal. The satin sheen actually comes out closer to semi-gloss, but it's beautiful on cherry. Four or five coats, lightly sanding with 320 grit between coats, and you'll will be very happy. Surface prep. and inspection before applying the first coat is key to pro results.

John