Thread: Aspire 4 has been released

Aspire 4 has been released

Vectric is now sending email to existing customers with an offer to upgrade Aspire to the new version 4. According to the email I received you have to wait until you receive an email from them before you can get to the download. Later all customers will receive disks via postal mail that include training videos and a host of new files probably worth more then the cost of the upgrade.

The upgrade is $400.00 which is a bargain for this software upgrade IMO. Each of the major upgrades in the past have added great features, this one looks like it will exceed most peoples expectations. Its no secret that I am a big fan of Vectric software and i am looking forward to the reviews of Aspire 4. I already downloaded the upgrade but it wil be tomorrow before I will have the opportunity to install it. I have a CNC job that I need to complete before I can do the upgrade.

Has anyone here except me installed the Aspire 4 upgrade?

Keith,

I have.....

Personally somewhat disappointed with the update...... lots of new tools for drawing ( we use Rhinoceros and Alibre for drawing so we didn't personally need most of the drawing tools... already drawing in 3D most of the time ) but see little change offered for toolpaths. We were hoping for ATP (Automatic Tool Pathing) possibly...... many more toolpaths like spiral, radial, waterline, steep machining, projection pocketing, etc. and even more entry and exit strategies like radial, curved, angle, etc. Possibly even aggregate toolpathing......

Sorry, not trying to rain on the parade...all in all Aspire is a great program..... just not going the direction that I'd like to see it go....... ( we have a number of cam programs..... so maybe we are asking to much...Artcam, Enroute, Rhinocam, Sprutcam, Madcam ) We'd like to find one that was a blend of several.....

Blessings,

Kevin
    Last edited by Kevin L. Waldron; 03-21-2013 at 9:05 AM.

I am using Aspire 4

Kevin, I think Aspire is for the general woodworker, a lot of the programs you mentioned are more 3D design programs and cost a lot more then Aspire ...... just my 2 cents worth
    Hardware:
    CAMaster 508 ATC + Recoil
    2013 Trotec Speedy 100, 60 watt, rotary attachment, vector grid.
    Software:
    CoralDraw - Aspire 9 - EnRoute

Custom Architectural Signage
    Mick Martin Woodworking

How are the new included 3D images?
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Kevin,

You are way more advanced a CNC operator than I am. Most of the features you mentioned I have never heard of and I probably would not know what to do with them if Aspire had the capability

I took a look at ArtCam several years ago, I thought the software was way to advanced for someone who had just purchased their first CNC Router. The software that ShopBot provided was bare bones, so much so that I felt it was difficult to learn to use. When I found VCarve Pro I felt there was hope for me yet, something I could learn fast and move forward. Reluctantly I upgraded to Aspire several months after it came out because it had more drawing tools and seemed to be more intuitive. I had no idea that I would ever be able to use the advanced features but I have been able to learn more as Aspire has improved. No doubt there will be a place where I will either have to jump off the upgrade path or find some serious training. Working alone doesn't necessarily provide the best means of learning and 99% of the machining I do is the same old stuff I have been doing for years. I've been trying to find the time to work with the software lately but the jobs that I attract in my shop are what pay the bills and they rarely include the need to learn more advanced techniques.

I have only spent a couple of hours with Aspire 4 so most of the changes in this revision seem to be organizational improvements. There are new features as well but I have been trying to adapt to the layout more so than looking at new tools or more efficient ways to setup tool paths. I watched both of the sample videos, they impressed me but I rarely am able to learn from them until I can use the software for awhile then view them again.

I do have one project on my short list that presents a serious challenge. I need to machine a compound interior angle that I have not been able to do with the old two rail sweep. It appears that the V4 two rail sweep is more advanced and will most likely be able to make this particular cut but honestly I don't even think I can describe it without providing a drawing. Unfortunately I can't upload the drawing because this one is customer owned and confidential.

Mike,

I think the new 3D drawings are on the CD that Vectric is shipping but I haven't heard whether anyone has received them yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    How are the new included 3D images?
    Mike,
    Here is a PDF of the 3D images that you get with Aspire 4 ..... the files have not yet been released. http://www.vectric.com/media/docs/pr...part_Guide.pdf
    Hardware:
    CAMaster 508 ATC + Recoil
    2013 Trotec Speedy 100, 60 watt, rotary attachment, vector grid.
    Software:
    CoralDraw - Aspire 9 - EnRoute

Custom Architectural Signage
    Mick Martin Woodworking

Mick,

Maybe I'm expecting to much. ( this was all my opinion )

There are many 3D programs now on the market such as MOI, Blender, or Sketchup which all allow for use of a space mouse......http://www.3dconnexion.com/ ..... want work in Aspire.......

Sketchup as well as several others now have many third party programs that offer node modeling. In my opinion many of these programs are now in reach of mom and pop woodworkers.

What I personally see as a coming revolution is 3D printers...... and yes as a woodworker I could find plenty of uses...... Personally think that software needs to be going 3D but software either needs to be a drawing program or a cam program even for woodworkers...... I see know reason to re-invent the wheel with all of the choices now on the market.

Sorry

Kevin

Keith,

I'm for sure not so advanced..... started our like most of you guys and learned the hard way..... trial and error. Along the way I did discover things that helped and things that hurt. For what we are doing with musical instruments we almost always start with a good clean 2D drawing of what we are trying to do and from there we graduated to making them 3D.

ATP is used by many of the more advanced cabinet software packages...... basically it takes cabinets drawn that are on various layers and automatically places the items on proper sheets using some predetermined layer name setup. You have a strategy/name for that layer that is contained with in a csv file. Enroute for instance processes the items drawn as DXF files along with a written csv file and it will automatically take your cabinet parts and nest them on a sheet and perform the strategy for that layer/name..... including tool bit, similar paths, depths etc. So if you draw a cabinet for instance with all of it's components and it's drawn on the correct layers the software will automatically place it in proper position and your ready to cut without having to define each individual part and toolpath. (Artcam and Enroute both have these capabilities.....)

On the instruments such as a mandolin we have found that Aspire just doesn't have the muscle to do a good clean job given the toolpaths that exist. A mandolin is a fairly compound complex instrument and requires a few tools, toolpaths, and entry exit strategies that just aren't available...... Can someone do a mandolin with Aspire sure ...... will it be a finished project...... probably not with out a lot of hand work.

As for 3D files....... we have a very extensive library of 3D files and we personally found we couldn't make any money with the cutting of these detailed 3D files....( the time was huge and we have a large commercial type machine with cutting speeds to 1200 ipm ) Not saying other can't but when we first got our cnc our hope was that we could build entry doors and offer the 3D carvings on the doors..... In our Nashville market...... we found few clients willing to pay for the cost of the product .....thus our search and discovery of musical instruments. It would be interesting to see how many of the forum users are actually making money with the 3D carvings day in day out compared to producing other products ...... sounds good and fun to play with....... and I've seen a number of you guys mantels and etc. and they look great and I wish you all the best. Our experience was a lot of time and little profit compared to producing other items. ( No I haven't received the 3D files...... for the upgrade of Aspire. )

As for Aspire it is a good stable program and I do like it, easy to run and use, but personally wish they would go a little different direction than improving the drawing capability with so many other 3D drawing programs available at a reasonable cost.

Thank you for this forum and the ability to at-least express one's thoughts.

Blessings,

Kevin
    Last edited by Kevin L. Waldron; 03-22-2013 at 2:56 PM.