Thread: Sidewinder pliers?

Sidewinder pliers?

Anyone use the sidewinder pliers from LV? I use cut brads a lot and these look like they might be good for removing ones that I've accidentally bent while driving.

Rob help me, I'm actually trying to find stuff to order before free shipping expires!

daniel
    Not all chemicals are bad. Without hydrogen or oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.

Although they do look handy, I didn't know of LV's Sidewinder pliers before now. From my perspective concerning grip, I would honestly stick with ordinary carpenter's pincers for nail pulling and a pair each of straight and offset adjustable pliers for other duties. Multi-tools have an awkward habit of being needed for more than a single duty simultaneously and can't be split.

Blog Entries
    Adjustable slip jaw pliers also work well for pulling nails and brads.

These are the ones sometimes referred to as "water pump" style pliers.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

the best nail pullers are vise grips if you got enough of the nail sticking out
    side cutters and end cutters will work if you can control the squeeze and not cut the brad or nail

Quote Originally Posted by daniel lane View Post
    Anyone use the sidewinder pliers from LV? I use cut brads a lot and these look like they might be good for removing ones that I've accidentally bent while driving.

Rob help me, I'm actually trying to find stuff to order before free shipping expires!

daniel
    Hi Daniel -

These are actually nail/brad pullers.... reproduced from a really elegant example in our collection.

Not for pulling 3 1/2" spiral framing nails though.... they really are for small light duty pins or staples!

If you try 'em and don't like them - there's never any problem returning tools to us....!

Cheers -

Rob

Thanks, Rob. I was actually being a little tongue-in-cheek (there wasn't a comma after "Rob"!), but I appreciate your reply. Frankly, while I didn't expect it, I'm not surprised by it - you've been that good to us here. I will order them, try them out, and post a review here later.

Regards,

daniel
    Not all chemicals are bad. Without hydrogen or oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.

This reminds me off the time I loaned my expensive piano wire nippers to the idiot in the cabinet maker's shop. He was always messing something up. He returned them with half a jaw broken off. I asked what the----- he had been doing with them?"Pulling nails". I guess I was stupid to not ask him what he was doing in the first place. Told him to keep them. I didn't want to see them in that condition. If he'd been honorable,he'd have gotten his boss to order me a new pair.

If you ever buy end nippers,get Channel lock brand. The Black Diamond brand are soft and miserable. I had to get the museum warehouse to buy channel lock brand.

The side winder pliers look handy. I'd put a piece of wood under the "elbow" to keep from denting any serious project.

Blog Entries
    This reminds me off the time I loaned my expensive piano wire nippers to the idiot in the cabinet maker's shop. He was always messing something up. He returned them with half a jaw broken off.
    This is why it is my practice to never loan a good tool without a cash deposit large enough to buy two more.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    I'd put a piece of wood under the "elbow" to keep from denting any serious project.
    George, this is exactly what I have in mind. Frankly, the issue I'd like to not repeat is pulling headless cut brads out of 1/4" stock, through 1/4" stock. I had to do that once when I messed one up when driving it through the back of a medicine 'cabinet' I'd built (think same size as the ones inset into the wall, but made of cherry and hung on the wall), when I wanted to support a 1/4" shelf in the middle. With these, and faced with the same situation, I could put a long scrap across the back of the cabinet (supported by the 1/2" sides) under the pliers and help protect the 1/4" back.

daniel