Thread: Sunburnt Black Ash HF

Talking Sunburnt Black Ash HF

This beautiful piece of Black Ash was gifted to me a while back by friend and fellow Creeker, Quinn McCarthy, and although I roughed it out quite some time ago, it was only recently that I figured I had better finish it! Quinn lives close to International Falls, MN, and you can tell by the growth rings on this Ash that the growing season up there is extremely short!!

Black Ash, 7” diameter x 5” high x less than 1/8” thick, sanded to 320 grit, dyed with a mix of red, yellow and green RIT powdered dyes dissolved in denatured alcohol (DNA) and finished with gloss wipe-on polyurethane.
    Sunburnt Black Ash v1.jpg Sunburnt Black Ash v2.jpg Sunburnt Black Ash v3.jpg Sunburnt Black Ash v4.jpg
    As always, your comments, opinions and critiques are welcomed!!

Thanks for looking!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

That looks great. I did not think it was dyed until I read it. Very subtle.
    Do or do not, there is no try.

Blog Entries
    Really like the color and the way the grain pops great dye job and form

Beautiful, Steve. Very subtle color..... Jerry (in Tucson)

5. That is a pretty piece.......color and grain in the wood............nice work Steve.

What do you call this shape? Is it in the southwestern style of pottery shapes?
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I always enjoy your work, Steve and this is no exception. I really like the collar. I also enjoy the fact that you also tire of the conventional shapes and make some with a different twist. The sharp shoulder is different for you. Very nice.
    faust

Beautiful piece Steve. Love the color and the wood grain.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Beautiful, Steve! Everything works great here!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

I was surprised when I read this was black ash. My black ash is black& grey. Rather hard to deal with. this piece took dye very well. Nice different color. Will stand out at shows.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

What was your process for using the Rit dye?
    Do or do not, there is no try.

great piece, love the golden ratio form/shape, the dye is eye catching compared to oil on ash, great piece

Thanks for all the kind words everyone - I do appreciate it!

Roger - while there are any number of high-sided SW forms out there - I did not try to copy any one particular style. This is just a simple variation on my standard forms.

Dennis, here are a couple of old threads that describe the process I use when dying forms. Experiment, Finished Product The only difference this time around was that I mixed all the dye together into one container and then applied the mixture.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Steve, the color of this piece came out just as I imagined when we discussed your mix! Great color. Very nice variation on form, as well. This ash seems quite different from what we have down here - largely green ash and white ash. From my experience, they seem to have a more pronounced grain and the rings are not nearly as tight compared to your piece.

Very nice piece Steve. I really like the shape and color.

Very nice Steve! I like the color,well done!