Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CNC Router under construction

CNC Router under construction

Today was a milestone, I got the gantry erected. So the Y and X axis are pretty much in place. This machine was designed to operate at very high accuracy. I want to be able to mill printed circuit boards as well as normal woodworking. Since I have a hobby machine shop, I also wanted to be able to do a limited amout of aluminum milling with the machine.
    This machine will have a 2.2KW water cooled spindle. Movement range of 48.5x27x5. The gantry can be moved forward to allow the machine to work over the end of the table. This will be used milling dovetails, tenons, and end drilling.
    The deck will be made of 1/4" 6061-T651 plate. This will greatly increase the strength of the machine. I will make a table of MDF and T-Slots as the work surface.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looking good George. How long do you think it will take to complete? What control software will you be using? I am just getting my toes wet with WinCNC, it seems very capable.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Nice looking frame and gantry. Home-built CNC is fun.

Hi George

it looks nice

is it a kit?and what do you expect your total cost to be ?

Make a welded base for it. Looking like your mechanical is coming right along.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I currently have a Chinese 6040 machine that I have done some modifications to. It's a very strong and precise machine. In that machine I run Mach3, as I will with the new machine.
    I'm building this from scratch. The ballscrews and ball slides are from China. I have a smaal machine shop with a Bridgeport, a couple of lathes, and about 40 years experience in designing and building machines, so I'm luckier than most.
    The base will be frabricated from 2" square- 11ga steel tubing. Like most of my other machines, this will have casters to make it easy to move around. I suspect I'm about a month away from having it completed.
    My total cost should come out around $2K, but I have a lot of material and parts left over from other projects in past years.

The Z-axis is complete. A 1.5KW spindle is currently in the mount, but I plan to go to a 2.2KW spindle with an ER20 collet. The Z-axis has 5" of travel. I put the linear bearings and ballnut on the fixed plate, just the opposite of most. But this allowed me to keep the linear bearings as close as possible to the spindle nose.
    z axis complete.jpg

Looking to good, very nice. very effective idea.

I'm just about ready to start the wiring. Then I'll build a spoilboard with T-tracks in it. The name Robo-Chop came from a CNC plasma I started to build about 25 years ago. I never finished it. It was much more difficult to get affordable motion control components back then. rc-table1.jpgrc-table3.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's one beautiful machine! Just one question - why did you go with a single drive on the X axis? I would be very concerned about racking when you are at the extents of the Y axis.

The drive is for driving the stage, the linear bearings are for alignment. If you have two separate steppers driving two lead screws, and rely on the leadscrews for alignment, it is unlikely that the stage would ever be square. This is because there is no guarantee that both stepper motors will step the same way at power up. I've seen machines designed using the dual lead screws and steppers, but it is usually done to save money on quality linear guides, not for precision. There's an old saying, "The man with two watches never knows what time it is." Using a single stepper and a drive belt to synchronize the leadscrews is actually a better than two steppers.

It's finished. I made a "Catch and Release" sign for out neighborhood lake this morning. There's still a little tune-up that needs to be done to Mach3, but that should be easy. The screen is an ELO touch screen, so I shouldn't have to use the keyboard very often. The electronics (including computer) are in the cabinet at the end. The cabinet is pressurized with air drawn thru the large automotive filter under the cabinet. I did this with my last machine, and the electronics has stayed clean for the past year.
    finished.jpg

The table is 56x31.5". The travel is 48.5x27x5". I am currently using a 1.5KW spindle. I may change this out for a 2.2KW unit in order to get the larger collet size. Notice the vertical table on the end. The gantry can be repositioned so that it over hanges the end. This will allow me to cut dovetails and do other work on the ends of a board. I've never seen this on a CNC Router before.
    Last edited by George Carlson; 04-30-2013 at 10:11 PM.

Looks great George! Well done. Just a word of caution- careful with that touch screen. We don't run Mach 3, so it might be different, but with the Shopbot, when it's running, if you touch any key on the keyboard, it stops the machine and retracts the Z axis. I put a touch screen in and thought I'd be thrilled with it until I opened the doors in the spring and flies came on. They were attracted to that thing like a magnet and every time they'd land on the screen, it would stop my machine! I put a fan in front of it to keep them off, but after a very short time, I removed it. Stupid flies

Your machine might not stop when touched, but they WILL land on spots on your screen that do matter, so be careful.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Wow. That's a nice build.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

When running Mach3, it is common to switch screens to watch different parameters, so Mach3 is not sensitive to key entries (except for space and esc). Touch screens can be purchased with different technologies depending on your needs. This screen uses SAW, surface acoustic wave, technology. It requires a pretty firm press. The resistive screens behave much the same. But there are IR scanned screens that would certainly pickup a fly. You could do some interesting artwork in the MDI (teach) mode.