Thread: Sawmill and Kiln services around Ashland, Ohio

Sawmill and Kiln services around Ashland, Ohio

My brother and I cut 4 walnut trees off of one of our family farms this week to build furniture for family this week. The plan is to build our mom and dad full bedroom suite for their 35th wedding anniversary. I am excited and also a little worried about getting it all done in time for their 35th but have about 3 years to get it done. The lumber is located in Ashland, Ohio and we need to find a place to get the logs sawn and kiln dried. We found a guy down around Lucas, Ohio, but wanted to see if anyone here knew of any sawing and kiln services in the Ashland area. Don't want to haul them to far really but have the equipment to move them wherever they need to go. The guy we are most likely going to use priced the sawing at about $0.35 a bd/ft and I think $0.30 bd/ft for kiln services.

Thanks for any info!

Bob

Build a solar kiln. It doesn't have to be fancy and they work well. A friend of mine has one and he dried a similar amount of walnut for me. It took about 3 months. Loaded in December and was done by end of March a couple years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert McNaull View Post
    My brother and I cut 4 walnut trees off of one of our family farms this week to build furniture for family this week. The plan is to build our mom and dad full bedroom suite for their 35th wedding anniversary. I am excited and also a little worried about getting it all done in time for their 35th but have about 3 years to get it done. The lumber is located in Ashland, Ohio and we need to find a place to get the logs sawn and kiln dried. We found a guy down around Lucas, Ohio, but wanted to see if anyone here knew of any sawing and kiln services in the Ashland area. Don't want to haul them to far really but have the equipment to move them wherever they need to go. The guy we are most likely going to use priced the sawing at about $0.35 a bd/ft and I think $0.30 bd/ft for kiln services.

Thanks for any info!

Bob
    Robert, find someone that knows how to do "GRADE" sawing, and use them (even if it costs more). Lots of folks know how to run a sawmill, but not that many understand grade sawing and how to mill for the highest yield of furniture grade lumber (as opposed to barn grade lumber).

The Forestry Forum (www.forestryforum.com) would be an excellent place to query for local millers.

Scott