Thread: Couple questions

Couple questions

Went to one of the local mudsales today and bought a few things. First thing I got cause I thought I "had to have it cause it was a steal", a 2ton chain hoist.
    So the first question, I was thinking I could use the chain hoist to move heavy pieces around the lathe, and the lathe its self. But I have no overhead gantry or support to attach it to. What would be the best option to get it overhead in a garage? Metal structure with wheels?, or somehow attach a beam in the ceiling?

Second question, I'm buying an old heavy iron bandsaw, estimated between 600-100 pounds. I can load in the the bed of the truck at the pick up site from the loading dock and pallet jack. But getting it off the truck when I get it home will be tricky. I have no loading dock, no crane or forklift. I know its easy to look at it and say the 4-5 young big dudes can lift it, but that doesn't mean its actually as easy as it would sound is it?
    I could go down the road and pay a local guy to bring a pettibone up and move it, but it would be cheaper to pay my buddies in beer. Unless you would advise against trying to lift it by hand?
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Slide a 3/4 piece of ply under it - - when you lay it down in the truck. Slide a bunch of long 2x4s under the ply and then pull the lathe onto the ply and slide the whole package, down the 2x4s. Anchor the 2x4s at the bottom end so they do not slide off the tailgate when you and a pal pull the lathe off the truck. Good luck and be safe!
    Philip

For moving logs around the shop, I would suggest something like an engine hoist. They are portable, you can go anywhere you want as long as it's on a hard flat surface. If you modify it and put big air filled tires on it, you can even go off road, so to speak, as long as the center of gravity doesn't get in the way. I would take that option over mounting a beam in the ceiling of your shop for 3 reasons. 1. You still have step 2, which is putting a gantry and hoist on the beam. 2. It is limiting in that it only allows for 1 direction of travel. 3. (And certainly not least) Unless you are absolutely certain that the load points you mount the beam on will support the weight of the beam, hoist, and log loads you put on it, you may wind up with a huge structural stability problem, and that is putting it lightly.

As for the bandsaw, pay the guy down the street...Beer is great, and you can still have your buddies over, but make them bring their own beer and use that money to hire the pettibone. 600 pounds plus is a lot of weight, and all it takes is one slip and you or one of your buddies will mess your back up or crush a limb, then you won't be able to turn at all.

I am cheap and hate spending money, but sometimes a little investment for safety's sake goes a long way.

Thanks for the input, at atleast I only spent 6$ on it.
    And the more I think about it, the better it will be to have someone unload it for me, and while it's in the air before the saw is set down, I can attach some casters to it so I can move it around my shop
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

You neighbor may not want to wait while you install casters, so set in on some cribbing so that you can install them and then rock it to pull the cribbing out. If you set it under the door opening, you might be able to use the chain hoist to lift it off the cribbing. Good Luck!
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

You could build a ramp and winch it off your truck, but I would want some thing way more heavy than 2 X 4's. several 4 X 4's at least, and plywood over that. Once on the ground, then the engine hoist sounds good. If you have some thing heavy duty to drive under, you could use your chain hoist. I am not sure if you could make your own engine hoist with your chain hoist or not. Metal frame and heavy duty castors for sure. I did concrete for too many years, and learned early on to over build rather than under build.

robo hippy

I would be very cautious with "estimated between 600-100 pounds", that sounds like a guess to me. It is very hard to make a decent guess on the weight of a cast iron band-saw; if it actually weighs more, you could get yourself in a bind.