Thread: Last couple of weekend's Project - and a few questions from it.....

Last couple of weekend's Project - and a few questions from it.....

Hello all,

Just wanted to show my miter stand that I started last week - the plans I got from the miter stand in Woodworkers Journal.

Basic layout, dado's for the shelves, adjustable platform for the saw, enclosed bottom half for the shop vac.

This build led me to a few questions though......

1.) Dado blade - I use the 8" Irwin Marples, and I used blue tape where my cuts were, but I still had a lot of chip out. How can I reduce this? I've read scoring the cut with an exacto knife to raising the blade slight to achieve a scoring cut.

2.) Raised panels - I attempted, several attempts actually, to make them on the table saw the Norm way. I got prototypes out of MDF to come out great, just using poplar I had to play with the keeping the wood perfectly flat and up against my auxiliary fence to even get the cuts close. Is this even worth it? Should I splurge for the 3+ HP router and a raised panel bit or hold out for a Shaper off of CL, or even think about the Harbor Freight shaper at $299 with a 25% off coupon.

3.) I have read all the posts on the quality of HD and Lowes 3/4" plywood, and I had 2 sheets that I ripped in half that were delaminated. I actually returned them, even though they were ripped in half, and Lowes replaced them. That's really my only choices near my area in Pittsburgh, without jumping to cabinet supply places, and approaching $70/sheet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Justin, dado sets are available with high angle scoring teeth for the outside blades, they do reduce chipping.

I have an FS Tools 6" set, it gives excellent results in solid or plywood.

I'm a shaper owner, no router, I would save up for a nice 3 HP shaper, and a power feeder 1/2 HP would be fine. Shapers have a lot of benefits, and used machines aren't very expensive.

I use a Euro block head with steel knives for most of my work, the knives are inexpensive and give fantastic cuts in solid wood.

If you want to machine man made material you'll need carbide or Tantung tooling.................Rod.

P.S. Nice looking miter saw station.
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 03-25-2013 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Added Post Script

Lookin' good Justin,

About the table saw raised panels....you mentioned an auxillary fence. It should be about a foot tall, so you don't rock the panel. I also suggest making a featherboard, and raising it on a stand, blocks, or whatever so it supports the material just a bit above the height of the blade. This would also help as a guard.

Rick Potter

Justin, I just wanted to say that this project gives me some ideas. Very nice.