Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OK, This hurt and I know Better

My own bruised ego and embarrassment

Early this morning after switching out the safety brake for a dado brake on my SAWSTOP I began to setup for a few test cuts with a dado set.
    During these test cuts is when IT HAPPENED!

www.huisinga.org/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=album35&page=1

Began running a small test board through and at the best of my recollection must have loosen my grip on the push pad which twisted the board and got bound up between the fence, it then ripped the push pad from my hand causing my forefinger to come in contact with the blade. Then BANG! I just stood there in shock looking where the board had ended up accross the shop and the push pad was all torn up.

Wondering why did the saw stop and the blade disappear???
    Finally looking down at my finger noticed a slight nick!

Wow this thing really works!

Very Humble Sawstop Owner

Thanks for the reminders.

I always appreciate those that take the time to post accidents to save others possible future injury. I always can use the wake up call and there are times I am working too close for comfort to the blade and I think of accidents I recently read and back off!

Glad you are ok as well. Well, now you know you got your money's worth. A story worthy of its own thread, I'd say.

Thank you Scott

for the lesson that I used today with my ninth grade class. I have been harping on table saw safety all school year and this gave me some more fuel for the fire. I showed the class your post and the pictures. They seemed to be aware of what you called a little west of some important parts to yourself and SWMBO. I had to explain what SWMBO was and it got quite a chuckle from the group. Anyway, just thought that you should know that you have been used as an example of what not to do with a table saw.

We haven't had an incident in the shop this year, so far!! Hopefully won't have one, just 9 more days until summer break.
    Just keep working on it. It'll give up and do right after a while.

Wow! Save #4 to my knowledge, and the first that came with photo evidence. This is potentially the most expensive SawStop trip, though still way less than if you had been cut. How's the dado blade doing? Is it recoverable? The cartridge really folded up. I have spare 10" cartridges on hand, but only one 8". Maybe I should have a second. Dave

Dado Set Damage

I posted a photo of the dado along with the other pics.

Lost a tooth on each blade in the stack, don't think I'll reuse.

So I begin the hunt for a replacement set. Any suggestions?

I had been using a set from Avenger Products, not top line nor bottom either

Trust me I'll take the offset in costs as a plus vs a hamburger finger!

Jim always happy to be of assistance, though I wish a little less painful message. I had a shop teacher talk about shop saftey and 10 minutes later he drove a badnsaw blade about 1 into his thumb..... the class got his message loud and clear... so did he.

Yes it happens very quickly...
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Dave nice sawstop example, I am sure the blade is toast but still cheaper than adoctors bill and to have the finger reattached. I am sure I would have bought one when I bought my saw, but they were just starting to talk about the concept and nowhere close to product.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Coffelt
    Dave nice sawstop example, I am sure the blade is toast but still cheaper than adoctors bill and to have the finger reattached. I am sure I would have bought one when I bought my saw, but they were just starting to talk about the concept and nowhere close to product.

For me, with regards to sawstop. nuff said. I think the most dramatic piece of this is the fact you didn't notice you were cut being it was so small and quick. so glad for you that you weren't hurt.

Keith

Oh yea - on the second page. Tore the teeth right off. If you've been happy with the Avenger, and figure that the accident is not likely to happen again, I'd just get another set. Maybe Avenger will sell you just the outside blades so you can reuse the chippers and save a little. If, on the othe hand, you're concerned about the financial hit, I would consider the Freud economy carbide tip set. I've seen it rated "Best Buy" in reviews.

There has been plenty of speculation in the past about SawStop making operators cavalier and sloppy in their table saw use habits. Were you in any way cutting differently with the SawStop than you would have with your previous saw? I'm guessing not, but figure I might as well ask since that has been a common statement by skeptics.

Take Care, Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wright #2
    There has been plenty of speculation in the past about SawStop making operators cavalier and sloppy in their table saw use habits. Were you in any way cutting differently with the SawStop than you would have with your previous saw? I'm guessing not, but figure I might as well ask since that has been a common statement by skeptics.

Take Care, Dave
    Dave, that’s a very good an valid question that deserves an answer with respect to all the issues surrounding the Sawstop. In as much the passion that has been displayed in some threads located here.
    It now seems to be one of those forbidden topics that you don’t discuss at the office like religion, sex, politics and now with Sawstop being added to that list.

I truly feel that I wasn’t cavalier about the safety features of the saw at the time, as I have a great respect for any tool regardless. An especially since to the best of my knowledge had never heard of an actual case. A demo on a wiener is one thing, another with a real living human body part.

My main reason for the purchase of the Sawstop was to first satisfy my need for a good cabinet saw with some of the best features found on other manufactures. Secondly was to embrace some new technology, since I am in the technology field. Which in my position I generally play it rather safe when it comes to bleeding edge technologies and only go with tried & true proven best practices in the industry.

Was I sloppy? No. Careless Yes! I allowed myself to become distracted and relaxed and the wrong moment. In the last six years of woodworking this is my first accident on the table saw were I had contact with the blade.

This leads to the another question: Why so soon after receiving the Sawstop?
    I truthfully can’t answer that one. Was it written in the stars, ordained by some outside forces or was just dumb luck??

In circumspect I hopefully will not become complacence nor sloppy in my work habits. In fact at this point in time very humble and somewhat apprehensive of using the saw.
    And very grateful to a gentleman named Dr. Gass.

I can attest to the fact this is not some manufactures bluesky, vaporware or overzealous sales pitch. It saved my trigger finger! ;>

My reason for posting my humbling experience today was not to pitch the sawstop but as a reminder that in a single moment of in tentativeness bad things can & will happen in the shop.

I have this quote in my workshop
    The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety
    Army General Richard Cody

Thanks for the suggestion on the Freud set I’ll take a look at those. As I can’t remember when or where I purchased the Avenger.

Dave, Thanks for your thought provoking question.
    Best
    Ron

Scott,
    I'm glad you are somewhat ok. These threads always remind me to be vigilant.
    John
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

A suggestion for Scott and Ron

In grad school, our department head did woodworking as a hobby. He had made a large, nicely finished plaque with the label "FUBAR Award" at the bottom. Whenever someone would break a piece of lab equipment, he would mount the broken pieces to the plaque along with the individuals name underneath. It served as a humorous reminder to be careful.

Correction: Ron's save wasn't #4. I passed the link to Steve Gass and received the reply that it was actually #6. #4 was a week ago in a cabinet shop. #5 was yesterday at a high school.

Glad you're ok, scott. Musta been quite the shock.

How much are the replacement brake cartridges?

Steve