Thread: Small Issues with Cut3d anyone ?

Small Issues with Cut3d anyone ?

Hi all,

this is my first post on here so please don't scold me ,
    I just recently got introduced into 3d router works,
    what I do I design my mesh/objects in 3ds max and then export to vectric cut3d.

I did a couple of test jobs and they turned out great, but recently I was doing a real job and had to do it 3 times over as I was getting undesirable results...
    What happened is the first rough pass seems like its cutting 0.125" off its origin.

I set up the files -2 passes the 1st rough pass to shave the majority of material with 0.25" 4 flute center cut helical bit and the 2nd precision pass I use 0.25" ball nose bit, the material thickness is 1.5" its an embossed logo etc..,
    What happens is it seems like either the first pass or the second pass is offsetting by 0.125" and I don't understand why...
    to control and send the jobs to router table we use tool path software.

Does this ever happen to anyone else ?
    any help would be appreciated.

thanks,

Andrew

Andrew,

We don't use either program but we have found all programs don't always play nice when converting...... Try STL or possibly 3DS you might get better results.

Blessings,

Kevin

What tool path are you generating? There are setting to be on the line or to cut to the line. Guessing you may have the latter for .125 offset on a .25 bit. That or bit size definition is wrong.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Thank you for your reply,
    Mike where are the settings regarding the offset you are talking about is it in tool path or cut3d ? regarding cut 3d I would figure the offset would be set automatically within the NC files based on the bit diameter...
    does the finishing path need to be offset , because from what I see this is exactly whats happening...

thanks for the tips.

Andrew

Hi again,

here is the image demonstrating the problems discussed above

example A - showing rough path and starting finishing path,

example B - showing finishing path only , we skipped the rough path, (great finish)

example C - showing finished rough path only.

Mike if you're still up to it , there is no compensation assign at all,
    there isn't one needed its 3d milling , I am aware of compensation offset while milling objects out as single path...

cut3d accepts my 3ds files perfectly , the cut3d preview looks great and as expected, however after processing both passes things don't look great.
    Sample Pic.jpg

try posting on vectric forum
    Creative Woodwork and Design
    Vector Studio 22

Are you choosing the correct bit for the finish cut.

Jerome,

I am using exact bits as chosen within Cut3d , both bits 1/4 diameter and the finishing bit is a ball nose bit.

Did you change the style in your setup and if you do is the geometry of the bit set up right. IE /25 ball nose but geometry says it is .125

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Did you change the style in your setup and if you do is the geometry of the bit set up right. IE /25 ball nose but geometry says it is .125
    Jerome , I am not sure what you're referring as style , listen could I send you the cut3d file and you have look inside if you don't mind,
    its just a test nothing corporate, my settings look great and it does not look like there is anything wrong but perhaps I am missing something simple that maybe be making an impact on my final finish...

How could I send you this file , you can msg me with your e-mail address and I will send it to you right of way.

thanks,

Andrew

File http://www.filefactory.com/file/4t0197medd1n/n/SMALL_TEST_rar
    Last edited by Andrew Wnek; 03-27-2013 at 3:24 PM.

11. You could have a old path that needs removing. I would start over...
    Owner of Liquidviolins.

thanks for the help guys,
    I still haven't resolvde this issue , anyone else could give this a shot,
    I don't think the previous link worked so I am adding another link to bytesbox,
    http://bytesbox.com/!/U85ZWOuTpiAq5Tk/

thank you all,

Andrew.