Thread: Carcass construction joinery question...

Carcass construction joinery question...

I'm working on a small desk valet -- a small set of shelves for my dresser, for wallet, keys, etc. The hardest thing for me to figure out is what sort of joinery I can use for the bottom board, given the other joints I want to use. Any suggestions? desk valet carcass.png
    clamp the work
    to relax the mind

What about rabbeting the lower board around the bottom, and making a dado in the sides and back to accept that board? Or raising the the lower board in relation to the bottom of the dovetailed boards and attaching it in a similar fashion to the top board?
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Depending on where your end grain is I guess I would do your dovetails on the bottom and cut rebates in the back.
    Good, Better, Best never let it rest
    until your Good is Better and your Better is Best

Member of M-WTCA Area D

Oh, maybe half blinds for the bottom board (!) ? That would give me the mechanical strength and still hide the end grain. Hmm...
    clamp the work
    to relax the mind

I'd use half-blind dovetails there, and the project sounds like one that could be amenable to one learning or practicing the technique. Of course, I don't know your credentials heretofore, but I haven't met many craftsmen who wouldn't appreciate a practical opportunity to hone their skills in this regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Q Brown View Post
    I'd use half-blind dovetails there, and the project sounds like one that could be amenable to one learning or practicing the technique. Of course, I don't know your credentials heretofore, but I haven't met many craftsmen who wouldn't appreciate a practical opportunity to hone their skills in this regard.
    +1 Half blind dovetails will be strong and you won't be able to see them. So if you make mistakes, they'll still be strong but people won't see the gaps.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Half blinds would be fine, but it might be fun to treat the shelves as blades and do short sliding dovetails.

Blog Entries
    If you want the bottom shelf to be the bottom of the unit, then the half blind dovetails would be one of the better solutions.

Another solution would be to trim the ends of the shelf to be a tenon in a mortise (AKA stopped dado). You would want the tenon off center so the top plane of the shelf is untouched and the bottom side is cut to about half the thickness of the shelf. This will leave enough wood below the mortise to not blow out when putting this together.

Amazingly, the best way to hide the joinery on a shelf seems to be to open it up as in the picture below.

Shelf curve Detail.jpg

just a simple 1/4 round on the corner done with a block plane or chisel.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 03-28-2013 at 12:45 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks all! I had been pondering this for a while and finally said, heck, draw a picture and post it and see what feedback you get. And it's ironic that I realized the answer within a few minutes of doing so! >forehead smack!< I'm going to work on a more detailed drawing now... Yes, this is going to be my first small cabinet piece and will be an opportunity to practice all of these joinery techniques in hardwood for the first time. I'm finally leaving the shop (making bench, storage shelves, etc) and entering the home (this small cabinet)! Expect joys and sorrows to ensue
    clamp the work
    to relax the mind

Jim and Jack, the carcass will have a few shelf blades as well... I'm actually going to try to make it in a design similar to secretary/fall front pigeon holes/drawers, but we'll see if I change my mind along the way. In theory, I want to do dado with sliding dovetails at the front, but I may incorporate your technique Jim, simple and effective, thanks!
    clamp the work
    to relax the mind

grain direction.png
    Looking for more joinery advice... here's a more detailed version of the carcass of the desk valet. I plan to build it out of quartersawn white oak. (The lumber looks great!)

I'm VERY curious what joinery folks would recommend for assembling.

I was thinking that that A-C and C-a would be secret miters, to wrap the grain of the wood around the outside of the carcass.

I originally though A-G and G-a would be half blinds... but if I use secret miters on the outside, the half blinds will now be cross grain. Heck, I don't think there is a way to avoid cross grain due to the design...

So any advice on what joinery to use (or minor redesigns) that would remove/minimize/accomodate cross grain construction?

-jamie
    clamp the work
    to relax the mind

Blog Entries
    I would probably go with mortise and loose tenon joinery.