Thread: Advice needed - Gap between upper cabinet and range hood

Advice needed - Gap between upper cabinet and range hood

Hello,

First time poster on this forum. I need some advice on how to fix or properly conceal the gap from the upper cabinet (left) and my corner range hood unit. When the cabinets were installed, it was apparent that this issue stemmed from kitchen walls not being exactly plumb. Any adivce would be greatly appreciated.
    All the best...
    photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto1 1.jpg

I'd take the cabinets off the wall and start the installation over. Evidently the installer bolted the corner cabinet tight to the corner, and just hoped that the flanking cabinets would line up. When they didn't, he just kept going. To do it right, lay out on the wall where the vertical edges of the corner cabinet should go, taking into account that the edges of the flanking cabinets want to be vertical. Shim the corner cabinet to get it to meet those layout lines. Then put up the flanking cabinets. You may have to do it twice -- once to figure out what should happen, and a second time to do it right. Don't be in a hurry.

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    Jamie's right, the installer messed up and didn't shim/plane/adjust all the cabinets to be in the same plane. (Rant starts)No matter how bad the walls are, it's the installers job to ensure that the cabinets are installed plumb, level and in the same plane. This should be a backcharge to the installer. I'm getting more and more distressed and disgusted by the increasing frequency of posts on the Internet showing crud work like this from so called pros. We need qualifying, tested licenseing in the carpentry trades, not just a registration fee like we have in my state. (Rant ends)
    Jamie described the best, right way to correct it.

The down and dirty fix is to, support all three cabinets from underneath; loosen the corner cabinet and the flanking cabinets, align the face frames with each other (adding matching filler strips if needed) and screw the frames together to make the three cabinets into one unit. Then shim the corners above and below into line and screw the cabinets to the studs. This will do the job, but taking them all down and re-setting would be better, just more work.
    Good luck my friend.

Shoot the installer. Won't fix the crappy job, but it'll make ya feel better.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Gosh, based on the other replies I hope the OP wasn't the installer - whoops..

I agree with Marks solution to cleat below, loosen, clamp and screw face frames, re-shim, and re-screw.

Great advice! Thanks to all who responded!!

All the best...

I just had new custom kitchen cabinets installed in a 180 year old house. There isn't a single wall or floor that is plumb, level or square. It took a lot of shims to get those cabinets installed properly, but they look great.

If my cabinets can be installed level and square, anyone's can. I would have those taken down and re-hung properly. Good Luck.

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    Braxton, if it was you who put them up, my apologies if I was gruff. A friend is in a similar situation, is out substantial moneys paid, and I'm being asked to get involved. I just hate repair work, especially repairing someones new work.

You might be able to loosen the top mounting screws, and then shim the top of the cabinet forward. It's worth a try before tearing it all down.