Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Grizzly track saw review

Yes it does

Something else to consider when using saws and rails from different manufacturers is whether different rails can be joined for longer lengths. It's useful and less expensive than buying a really long rail which only has one purpose, really long cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Wunder View Post
    Yes it does
    Yes the Makita can use Grizzly tracks, or yes the anti-tilt doohickey stops the wobble?

Thanks,
    Chris

Sorry, Chris. The anti-tilt doohicky does stop the wobble. It clips to the outside of the track and to the saw base.

Well first let me say I have the TS55 and I also own a lot of griz too(larger tools). I did a lot (and i'm anal about research) of research before buying. The other competition was not out so I had to justify the cost to myself. I wanted to replace my method of sheet break down. I used a long clampit strait edge and the PC 7 1/4" CS with a forrest WWI and it worked pretty good I must say. However after buying the TS55 with excellent DC, I never questioned the purchase again. Someone mentioned it growled. The motor does sound different but over the years it has never failed me and the stock blade is still on it. Cuts splinter free. I bought a strait rail long enough to do a full sheet of ply so i don't deal with the joints. I break my ply down on foam sheets on the floor. If the griz would have been out then, I probably would have considered it. I would also know I would have to fiddle with it as griz hand tools have that reputation. It's a shame they have a wobble on the base. I read that in another review as well. If you are just using it to rough break down of ply then that proably won't matter as you can touch it up on the TS to get that perfect angle. Mine was dead on smooth out of the box, and I use it on my MFT3 table to make perfectly square crosscuts every time (on all pieces not just ply)but you have to have that to trust it. I can see where at half the cost, would be appealing and trust me I thought long and hard before putting out that cash for the TS55. However, when averaged over the long haul, I still don't regret the festool purchase. Maybe after you have had it a few years your can do a follow-up and see how it stands up. I'd love to know. As I started with, I have both green tools Griz & Festool.

No problem,

Thank you for clarifying it for me.

Anybody know if Festool and my DeWalt take the same blade?

Rick Potter

Anybody know if Festool and my DeWalt take the same blade?
    Yep. All of the track saws use 160mm diameter blades with 20mm arbor bores. Keep in mind that there will probably be slight kerf differences between blades, so you might have to replace the zero clearance strips on the track when you change blades.

My thinking is that if I go the budget route and the saw dies, at least I could recoup some of the investment by reusing the track with a Makita.
    Chris, I don't think that will work. My understanding is that the Makita and Festool tracks are identical. Scott T Smith did a side by side comparison in February this year, with the Scheppach/Grizzly and Festool systems. He reported that the festool saw did not clear the edge of the Grizzly track and the Grizzly saw overhung the Festool track by 1/4". I imagine you'd get the same result trying to use a Makita saw on Grizzly track.

Having said that, there don't seem to be widespread reports about durability issues with this family of saws. I'm perfectly happy with mine and don't see why it won't hold up for years. After all, they're just circular saws with a fancy bases and dust shrouds.
    Last edited by david brum; 10-31-2013 at 5:21 PM.

That's what I was thinking. Pretty sure I'll pull the trigger on the scheppach and a blade, see how I like it after addressing the wobble, then if all is good, buck up for another track section. I'll post up any observations etc after I get it and make the anti friction strip changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lloyd View Post
    That's what I was thinking. Pretty sure I'll pull the trigger on the scheppach and a blade, see how I like it after addressing the wobble, then if all is good, buck up for another track section. I'll post up any observations etc after I get it and make the anti friction strip changes.
    I snagged the scheppach when woot had a sale on them this summer. I had wobble problems, so I bought the Grizzly accessory kit--the anti tip dodad, while intended for bevels, works just fine to remove the wobble.

As a bonus, the
    scheppach comes with two 25" sections and one joining bar. Add the Grizzly kit and now you've got two.

Saw Rail Comparison0.jpg
    I'm a long-time happy EurekaZone track system user. I started using it because circular saws and I simply do not get along (to say it nicely) and I hated trying to cut down plywood using a table saw.

I have to say that I was pretty surprised when I first saw the flimsy single-layer tracks used by other companies. I think the picture says it all.
    Last edited by Ken Kortge; 11-01-2013 at 9:27 AM. Reason: added the backstory

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Kortge View Post
    I'm a long-time happy EurekaZone track system user. I started using it because circular saws and I simply do not get along (to say it nicely) and I hated trying to cut down plywood using a table saw.

I have to say that I was pretty surprised when I first saw the flimsy single-layer tracks used by other companies. I think the picture says it all.
    How is the dust collection w/ the eurekazone?

Dust collection was the farthest thing from my mind when I bought my EuekaZone tracks and saw ... but the saw I bought from EurekaZone did come with a dust collection fixture that simply hooks to my shop vacuum hose. Pretty simple.