Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Powermatic PM2800B Drill Press Review

That is funny because I'm had the same problem with the fence too. I figured that was something I could tinker around with and figure out, or just get different knobs to lock it down with. If I get a machine that doesn't vibrate like crazy I think I will be very happy with it. For you guys that have the PM2800 do the belts run parallel to each other through the entire range of motion? Do you have a bunch of belt dust under the hood? I'm sure there is something wrong with mine but I'm curious what a good running machine looks like. Specifically I'm curious if that upper belt is angled as bed as mine at different speeds.

I've not seen even one of those yet where the quill wasn't loose. Chuck a bit, lock the quill extended a few inches, and grab the chuck. Wiggle it back and forth and watch what happens to the tip of the drill bit. Unless you miraculously got the one tight one, it will wobble back and forth, and so will the next 10 replacements they send you.

So PM called me back they want me to ship the drill press back to them but said the replacement wouldn't ship until June!!!! I'm seriously considering buying the delta. If I had known this would be such a headache I would have kept my Jet that worked absolutely fine. I made a huge mistake on this one.

Well perhaps they are fixing or redesigning everything on the manufacturing line to correct a possible flaw. We'll need to see what the July reviews have to say. It would be nice if PM would get this right as the new "B" machine has decent specs.
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 04-09-2013 at 6:50 PM. Reason: sp
    Dick Mahany.

Man, I'd just ask for a refund if I were you... With so many people who had problems with the previous model, chances seem high that you'll wait til june only to get another crumby machine.

Imagine how many poor shlubs are seduced by all the fancy bells and whistles, gets a machine not fit for use but don't know any better. Only thing worse than that is a once proud manufacturer putting junk like that in the hands of the consumer. If build procedures are so poor as too allow so many obvious negative issues, what kind of quality is specified for rotating parts, machining tolerances, and electronics. Previous advice to get a refund is sound.
    Last edited by Brad Patch; 04-09-2013 at 6:18 PM. Reason: adding words

Prince Edward Island, Canada's Ocean Playground
    Sorry that you had such a disappointment with the new drill press. For the price it should come ready to go, all aligned.

I have been looking for a new DP myself and recently found a used Steel City 20520 for $325 in like new condition. I really like the 6" stroke and the 16 speeds it provides. It is a big step up from my 1930s Atlas Bench Top 12.5" DP.

I hope that you receive a refund without too much trouble and are successful in your search for a quality DP.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Erik

Canada's Atlantic Paradise - Prince Edward Island

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Manchester View Post
    Sorry that you had such a disappointment with the new drill press. For the price it should come ready to go, all aligned.

I have been looking for a new DP myself and recently found a used Steel City 20520 for $325 in like new condition. I really like the 6" stroke and the 16 speeds it provides. It is a big step up from my 1930s Atlas Bench Top 12.5" DP.

I hope that you receive a refund without too much trouble and are successful in your search for a quality DP.
    Those Steel City units are split heads, which allows one to tune quill-wiggle out of the equation.

I would have liked one but stumbled into a low-priced deal on a Ridgid, with which I'm happy.

Keep us appraised on the final resolution, I have been considering one of these for a long time. I like the Delta 18-900L as well, and it can go slower (down to 170 I think), which you sometimes want.

My friend has been ogling that drill press for some time, all the while I've been trying to convince him an older 1150 will be a better press for his use. I'm going to send him this thread as it shows what I've learned through my last few new Powermatic machines.....the quality just isn't what it used to be

FWIW I recommend buying a drill press, (or any machine), based on the quality of the machine itself and for the most part ignoring all the gadgets and add-ons . Sure lights and fancy tables are nice to have, but they don't really affect the machines use. Buying a good quality basic machine and adding your own light and aftermarket table if you need one, would likely provide a better service life. I also inherently distrust most electronics on machines.....just one more thing to go wrong

just my opinion though....good luck!
    JeffD

Geez! My 250 dollar Rexon 15" benchtop drill press does better than that... no discernible vibration (unless you mount a crappy drill bit on it) and the pulley measures a runout of less than .010 and the chuck is .015.

Blog Entries
    I must have got lucky, mine is working perfectly and has for a couple years now. Once the belt broke in all the problems went away. It does have a 5 year warranty, I'd contact them, they have wonderful customer service.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Kibler View Post
    So PM called me back they want me to ship the drill press back to them but said the replacement wouldn't ship until June!!!! I'm seriously considering buying the delta. If I had known this would be such a headache I would have kept my Jet that worked absolutely fine. I made a huge mistake on this one.
    A friend recently got the Delta 18-900L drill press and is very happy with the purchase.
    It has everything that the PM2800B has except for the variable speed, and the keyless chuck.
    The table on the Delta is really nice, especially for drilling compound angle holes, and aimed at the woodworker, with side to side and forward tilting.

From the video that was posted on the PM2800B it seemed to me that the changing of the speeds was tedious, as the operator kept turning and the RPM just slowly went up.
    If one was just going to change by a couple hundred RPM then it would be alright, but if the operator was making larger speed changes, or had to go from the bottom speed to the top speed, I think I would want to have the belts that the Delta has, with the idler pulley system.

So IF you are not satisfied with your second PM2800B then I would recommend that you take a closer look at the Delta.

powermatic, the gold standard in customer disappointment. paying a premium price should get you a flawless tool, more along the lines of sawstop. if i were the OP, i'd listen to my gut and the other comments recommending delta. just my $.02.

Or you can throw caution to the wind and get yourself a REAL drill press...

That's a 4 head Powermatic 1150 which was in hindsight probably a bit heavy for my little F-150

JeffD