Thread: Ahhh another tool saved from the scrap bin

Ahhh another tool saved from the scrap bin

I found this protractor head in a box of spokeshaves and planes a while back. It was almost impossible to use the way it was and finally got tired of looking at it yesterday. Not perfect but at least its usable now. Made by Bates MFG, any guesses as to its vintage? Disassembled everything but the level vial, I was afraid I may break it so I left it be. Soaked in evapo-rust for a few hours, then onto the brass brush and finished with wet sanding. I would have like to o a little farther with the polishing but I'm almost down to the markings so I had to stop.

protractor before3.jpgprotractor before1.jpgprotractor after1.jpgprotractor after2.jpg
    "If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

I couldn't read any names on the blurry pictures. It says Bates? Where? The head looks just like an old Starrett head. Is the name on the rule? If so,the head may not have the original rule. Need more info.
    Last edited by george wilson; 03-29-2013 at 12:29 PM.

The rule has Bates MFG, Orange Mass. on it but the base only has a number stamped in the side of the base. Rough to read but it looks like "258". Come to think of it, I have a Starrett combo set that has the protractor base in my machinist box. I'll compare them later next time I'm in the shop. I was assuming they were both Bates but they very well could be different makes.
    "If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

I doubt that someone else would go so far as to copy the checkered surface of the Starrett head. How did I manage to write "pin" instead of "on" in the post above? I think the spell check makes some unwanted assumptions.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    The head looks just like an old Starrett head.
    The nut looks Starrett, too. Having made frankencombosquares myself, when I encountered good parts adrift from their original companions, I can testify that a lot of manufacturers used identical rule and slot dimensions, particularly so in machinist's layout tools.

But that's OK; as long as the parts play well together, it matters not as to use.