Thread: A few questions about niddle sizes for HVLP and Taget/General products

A few questions about niddle sizes for HVLP and Taget/General products

I have a 4-stage turbine (Lemmer 90) that comes standard with a 1.5mm tip.
    I'd want to spray (soon) Target coatings (EM6000 and possibly EM2000) and also General High performance Poly (http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...at=1,190,42942)

Q1: What niddle size I'd need to use with each? is 1.5mm too big? the only smaller size Lemmer has is 1.0mm.

Q2: One unrelated question: I want a satin finish but I have 1 quart of semi-gloss and 1 quart of satin (none is enough for the whole project).
    Will I be able to apply semi-gloss and then top-coat it with Satin to get the final satin finish?

Q3: Also, are Target coating finishes (like EM6000) compatible with the above mentioned General finish, i.e. one cap be applied over the other?

TIA
    Last edited by mreza Salav; 03-29-2013 at 3:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mreza Salav View Post
    Q2: One unrelated question: I want a satin finish but I have 1 quart of semi-gloss and 1 quart of satin (none is enough for the whole project).
    Will I be able to apply semi-gloss and then top-coat it with Satin to get the final satin finish?
    TIA
    This is actually the frequently recommended schedule.
    First clear gloss and then a topcoat sheen of choice.
    To understand recursion, one must first understand recursion

For specific information about needle sizes for General Finishes high performance poly, go here: http://www.generalfinishes.com/sites...12-31-09_0.pdf

For Target products, they tell you to refer to your HVLP manufacturer for tip and cap sizes. This is what I found on Lemmer's website:

Fine finish work with stains, lacquers,enamels, automotive base/clear.
    ..........................1.0 mm

Medium speed with lacquers, enamels, urethanes, clear coats. .................................1.3 mm

Normal output with lacquers, enamels,urethane, varnish, automotive primers.................1.5 mm

Higher output with primers, industrial finishes......................... 1.8 mm

Latex and oil paints............................................ ....2.0 mm