Thread: Shop Makeover Update....

Shop Makeover Update....

Another pretty good long day. No photos, I am pooped!! I put the vise on the bench first thing this morning and spent the day ripping down sheet goods of MDF and particle boards for the cabinets. I got all the pieces ready to assemble for both cabinets. A long day of saw dust!

In the past I haven't used MDF, just particle board. I don't know about MDF, it's not my favorite material, I think I like particle board better myself for cab construction. Did a little testing of the Confirmant screws and drill some test holes and screwed a couple pieces of PB and MDF together. The particle board went together much better. The drill bit burned alot more in the MDF. I didn't get the drill bit deeep enough on one hole and the screw just split the heck out of the mating MDF work piece. Man that stuff splits worse than anything I have used before. Any tips on working with this MDF and the confirmant screws and avoiding any blow out problems?

Also, I didn't try it but how does the MDF work with air nailing finish nails or staples. Was going to set the face frames with then nailer and glue clamp it up? Will the airnailer blow out the MDF? It seems to work pretty well on the PB.

Tomorrow I start assembling the cabinets and should be able to post pics of the carcases and the work table rehab.

Thanks,
    Corey

I've found that screws can split MDF badly unless you predrill...and then they might not hold. I've shot 18g brads up to 1-1/4 with no abnormal problems. I think the trick to MDF cabinets is a tight dado and GLUE.

KC

biscuits work great with MDF, but that might take alot of time to do if you have mucho cabinets.I used to use MDF alot for speaker boxes and we bre-drilled and used sheet metal screws. Drywall screws will break and wood screws seem not to grip. Recently I have used titebond and a 15ga nailer with no problems. MDF dust is also very toxic...wear a mask!!!