Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Case joinery

Believe it or not,wearing multiple wrist watches as fashion was done by a few back in the 80's.

I vaguely remember the 80s. I was born in 1983, so I must have just missed out on the multiple watch fad. But I do remember the 90s, when "sagging" your pants and showing off your underpants was de rigueur.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Still is,isn't it? WHY is it COOL to look like you're in jail? For the same reason it is COOL to not learn a thing in school. If you do,you are labeled a nerd,or something else. How hard do humans try to hold back evolution? Pretty hard on several counts.

It's COOL because it its an excellent reason to be lazy. I'll bet they think they're cool when having a career flipping burgers!!!
    Last edited by george wilson; 04-01-2013 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Still is,isn't it? WHY is it COOL to look like you're in jail? For the same reason it is COOL to not learn a thing in school. If you do,you are labeled a nerd,or something else. How hard do humans try to hold back evolution? Pretty hard on several counts.

It's COOL because it its an excellent reason to be lazy. I'll bet they think they're cool when having a career flipping burgers!!!
    That's not it at all. When I first started working out of college, in software development, all us underlings spent most of our days pretending not to work, most of our nights were spent partying with each other (OK, there were about 20 newly graduated kids in one office). But the idea was that when we turned in something and it worked perfectly, we could pretend that it was natural acumen, not hard work, we never had to work hard given our brilliance. Not.

That MO still exists today. Different generation, but the same "oh, i didn't have to work as hard as you do" torpedoing is still around.
    Last edited by David Weaver; 04-01-2013 at 10:20 PM.

None of this is doing anything to disabuse me of the notion that woodworkers don't like to discuss case joinery.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bernardo View Post
    None of this is doing anything to disabuse me of the notion that woodworkers don't like to discuss case joinery.
    Well we did pretty much cover, at length, your possible options. Really there isn't that much to it...
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Dillinger View Post
    Well we did pretty much cover, at length, your possible options. Really there isn't that much to it...
    That's for sure, very cogent summary.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Dillinger View Post
    For an A&C piece like that, I wouldn't have a problem doweling the thing together. Krenov doweled a lot of his cabinets and I don't see a problem with it. Just call it loose tenon joinery if you have something against doweling.

If you want the strength of the dovetails without the ugly end grain, you can do a full-blind or miter dovetail. Not all that hard to do, really, since you only have two show surfaces to worry about.
    7077353_1_l.jpg
    This is the cabinet you're making? I agree with Zach's suggestions. Given the style of the piece I would have no issue with doweling this together or using a pinned/doweled rabbet. Alternatively, I would use a full blind/double lap dovetail. I'm less opposed to showing any endgrain than Zach or Dave, especially on a piece of this style, so I'd also consider half blinds for this piece, though I think agree that regular through dovetails would indeed be too busy. Personally, I wouldn't use a blind miter dovetail, simply because I'm not good enough at those to pull them off on something that wide, but double lap dovetails aren't much harder than half-blinds. While having to chop out all the waste makes them take a little longer, once you understand the layout they are actually in someways are easier than a half blind since the only visible part of the joint is the rabbet.
    fullblinddovetail1.jpg

I also would recommend skipping the wedged tenons on the shelf. I understand the desire to want to use it as an opportunity to practice the joint (I do this all the time), but unless I'm missing something about the design, you'll have an exposed tenon on one side of the the case and not the other, since the shelf stops at the door. I guess that's not necessarily an issue but that would bug me. A stopped dado makes much more sense is my mind, and is still a good excise to do by hand, especially if you are a beginner (and even if your not)
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

If you want to go with the wedged through-tenon for the shelf, you could make the vertical end pieces longer and make the case assembly joints be wedged through-tenons as well. You'd need the extra length to give strength to the "outboard" portions of the ends when you wedge the tenons. The pattern of the exposed end grain "rectangles" in that case shouldn't be overbearing, as there wouldn't be as many tenons as there would be dovetails, and they could be fancied up with wedges of a different color. Not everything has to be a colonial secretary - look at Japanese or Central European country furniture (like A&C was emulating) to find ways to make it look better.

The big problem with wedged through-tenons is that they are hard to get right. The outside of the mortises have to be extremely precise and crisp in order to avoid unsightly gaps. They take some experience and considerable confidence. That's the reason I like them, but I'm just offering the warning that they are deceptively demanding.

Heh, yes. Thanks for the replies. I was joking in that post, but now that I re-read it, it sounds a little testy. No offense meant.

It's funny, I was hoping that there was another option yet - one that I hadn't considered. But it does look like this is one of the reasons why machine joints have won out in case work... just more options.