Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Engraving Supplier Shipping Cost???

I know where you are coming from!!! But remember their are more than one way to recover operating cost. Used to the mark up on goods was enough to cover boxes and freight. Now suppliers are so competitive they would scare you off if they added it in. I know I go through 3K - 4K in boxes tape a year so it makes a difference in your bottom line.
    Al

40W MII W/Rotor
    Camaster Stinger III, Vectric Aspire
    Back up Vinyl cutter
    Roland 54" print/cut
    Laminator
    Strip heater
    Lasermaster 8.5, LXI Master Plus, Corel X4, Photograv, design shop pro
    Knight DC16, DK3 Mug Press, Hix HD400D, GX7000
    Embroidery
    Hot stamping

There is a massive UPS Hub just a couple miles south of me. However my zip code is within the delivery area well north of here. The system works most of the time, but once in awhile, I see a package tracking that says it's out for delivery from the closer hub. What happens is they realize it's the wrong delivery area, back to the hub, sent north and the next day gets delivered.

Sometimes - like yesterday I see a package was on the truck at 06:30 am for delivery. This morning it's on the truck... again. I guess they missed a 99 lb package the size of flat screen TV. It's a new drywall lift - been dry walling 8 ft ceilings in my new workshop & it's not that easy without one of these puppies, but that's for a future thread.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

I recently ordered a 100ct box of 1" Brass S Hooks for a couple of projects. The cost of those hooks was $32.97. The box was 3" long, 1 1/2" wide, 1"" thick. When they e mailed my invoice, it was a total of $49.32.......$16.35 FOR SHIPPING a 1lb box you can fit in a shirt pocket. Just went to Lowes and bought some more S Hooks, three to a pack. 99 hooks ended up costing $35.64
    Brian Fithian
    Powerline Tags llc
    Epilog Mini 24 40W
    Corel Draw X5

4. Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    What I found out yesterday enraged me a little. I was waiting for a package from TN shipped USPS . I checked tracking on Sunday it said departed Phoenix 9:32am. Well I assumed(yes I know)that it was going from Phoenix to my local PO, So when it wasn't delivered on Monday I went to PO to see if the truck was late and it didn't make my mail truck . They said no it hasn't got to the PO yet. So I asked were it was they said that it goes from Phoenix to the County hub then to your local. I said what,!! So basicly what happens is the truck with my package drove right past my PO another 70 miles to a PO unloaded scanned and loaded on to another truck to be driven back 70 miles to my PO. This happens with all mail coming to my PO from Phoenix. You wonder why the po is going broke and they keep raising prices. Talk about inefficiency .
    I know what you mean. Even if I mail something locally it has to go through Providence, RI (which wayyyy out of the way, about 40 miles from here).
    Epilog 35 Watt Mini 12" x 24"
    New Hermes V3400
    Kwikprint 55
    CorelDraw 2017, Illustrator, Photoshop

Well I have sent a couple of E mails back and forth to the company in question. I was impressed with how quickly they responded to my concerns. Basically, I gave them my example and said that on occasion, it would be nice to have options? What I suggested was give me the option of choosing USPS priority mail for certain orders. I ship using USPS priority mail almost daily. It includes package tracking and the boxes are free. Even if the company in question placed a $2.00 surcharge for choosing the priority option, I would have saved more than $6.00 in shipping on my small order! I do try to economize and place large orders whenever possible. However, I needed samples for a customer and did not have a choice.
    Epilog 45 watt, Graphtec cutter-plotter, Corel Graphics Suite X3 - X4, HP and Vaio computers, woodshop.

"Trust, but Verify"