Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acquired Jet Table Saw, Band Saw, Sander & Jointer

Acquired Jet Table Saw, Band Saw, Sander & Jointer

The house that we recently purchased came with a 2000 sq. ft. barn with another half as much area loft. I never had a barn before and thought it might be a good idea to take up woodworking as a hobby considering that I'm now retired. With that in mind I came across the following power tools to get started. I paid $400 for all four pieces. First of all, is this a good price? The only downside that I know about is the table saw has a 3 phase 5 hp motor which will either require conversion to single phase or replacing the motor. All the other tools have single phase motors. Secondly, and probably more difficult to answer is how do I set up the work area to make best use of the limited floor space? Any suggestions on how to get started in woodworking would be appreciated too.

Jet, JTAS-10-3 Table Saw (Looks almost new with shiny white paint)
    Jet, 14" Band Saw with open stand
    Delta 6" Belt/12" Disc Sander
    Delta 6" Professional Jointer with base cabinet

All the tools look to be in great shape.

Yes, that is a great price for those tools. I the motor is a 3 phase you'll need to either have 3 phase electric service installed of buy a converter. Grizzly sells one. This one here may suit your needs.

m.grizzly.com/products/Rotary-Phase-Converter-5-HP/G5844

As for shop layout... No one can really tell you what and how to setup your shop. You'll need to ask yourself some questions. Such as, what type of projects would I like to make? What tools will be required? What's my budget? How much space? (Sounds like space won't be an issue for you... You're very blessed to have that amount of space. I have 400 sq/ft).

I suggest getting some grid paper. Layout your shop on there. Depending on the size of the space and the size of the grid blocks you can make each block equal 6" or 12". Then make cut outs of your tools scaled to thing grid. Then you can layout each tool and rearrange it as you please without hurting your back.

As for placement there are no rules, but only rules of thumb. It makes sense to store lumber and sheet goods near the largest entry door. Then place whatever tool you will use break down the sheet goods near they her storage. This could be a table saw or a circular saw with a cutting guide. But the area should be near the lumber and entry if possible. If you're working with rough lumber it will need to be face jointed, edge jointed, ripped, and planed to make all four sides flat and parallel. I would put the jointer and planer somewhere near the entry as well along with the table saw.

Band saws can be put near a wall somewhere. I could go on and on... Get mobile wheel bases for EVERYTHING. You'll be moving things around quite a bit.

We'll need to know what tools you plan to purchase and what you plan to make.

Welcome to SMC!!!
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

More is DEFINITELY more!!!

Wait, did you pay $400 for each of the machines, or $400 total for all of them? Either way, that's a good price.

As for shop layout, it's difficult for us to say. Michael has the right idea.

If you have enough space, do everything you can to keep your major machines stationary. It makes life a ton easier, which makes the hobby more enjoyable. When I first set up my shop, I had enough space, but for some reason I thought the way to solve the layout question is to not commit to anything, and just roll each machine out when I needed it. That ended up being a huge pain in the butt. Only do this if you're short on space.

I would consider the following to be "major machines", worthy of a permanent location that won't require moving anything else out of the way in order to use them:

1) Table Saw
    2) Jointer
    3) Planer
    4) Bandsaw
    5) Workbench or assembly table

To properly mill lumber, you're going to need a thickness planer.

For these major machines, I use the "8' in, 8' out" rule. Meaning, there should be enough space to feed an 8 foot long piece through the machine. This requires 8 feet of clear space on each side of the machines. It may seem like a really tough requirement, but if you think hard about it and use grid paper to do scaled drawings of your shop and machines, you could do it.

For example, put your table saw in the middle of the shop, and put your jointer on the left side of it, such that the feed direction is the same for both machines. Put your planer on the right side in similar fashion.

Also, try to avoid putting a mobile base on your bandsaw. I had a mobile base on mine for the last 6 years and it wobbled like crazy. It's a top-heavy machine. Ideally, you'd bolt it to the floor.

That should be enough to get you started. I rearranged my shop probably 5 times before finally settling on what works best. So don't get too stuck on the initial layout. When you run into frustrations or inconveniences, just move your machines into a smarter configuration. Not a big deal!

Oh, and another concept that some find useful- think about diagonals too. Your machines don't all have to be pointed east/west or north/south. Southwest may make better use of space, given the 8' in, 8' out rule.

before unloading that 5 hp 3 phase motor, check out some of these links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOxNjsuUrZA

http://www.factorymation.com/Product...M50-203-C.html

as well as this thread on a VFD applied to a 3 phase BS by a SMC forum member:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...light=band+saw

regarding your set up question, "how do I set up the work area to make best use of the limited (2000sq') floor space"?

2000 sq' is limited floor space? you're kidding, right? in the NYC tristate area, that would never be referred to as "limited space".

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aeschliman View Post
    Wait, did you pay $400 for each of the machines, or $400 total for all of them? Either way, that's a good price.

As for shop layout, it's difficult for us to say. Michael has the right idea.

If you have enough space, do everything you can to keep your major machines stationary. It makes life a ton easier, which makes the hobby more enjoyable. When I first set up my shop, I had enough space, but for some reason I thought the way to solve the layout question is to not commit to anything, and just roll each machine out when I needed it. That ended up being a huge pain in the butt. Only do this if you're short on space.

I would consider the following to be "major machines", worthy of a permanent location that won't require moving anything else out of the way in order to use them:

1) Table Saw
    2) Jointer
    3) Planer
    4) Bandsaw
    5) Workbench or assembly table

To properly mill lumber, you're going to need a thickness planer.

For these major machines, I use the "8' in, 8' out" rule. Meaning, there should be enough space to feed an 8 foot long piece through the machine. This requires 8 feet of clear space on each side of the machines. It may seem like a really tough requirement, but if you think hard about it and use grid paper to do scaled drawings of your shop and machines, you could do it.

For example, put your table saw in the middle of the shop, and put your jointer on the left side of it, such that the feed direction is the same for both machines. Put your planer on the right side in similar fashion.

Also, try to avoid putting a mobile base on your bandsaw. I had a mobile base on mine for the last 6 years and it wobbled like crazy. It's a top-heavy machine. Ideally, you'd bolt it to the floor.

That should be enough to get you started. I rearranged my shop probably 5 times before finally settling on what works best. So don't get too stuck on the initial layout. When you run into frustrations or inconveniences, just move your machines into a smarter configuration. Not a big deal!
    I paid $400 for everything. You mentioned a planer in the list of major machines (perhaps must haves?). I can get a Jet open stand planer with a top mounted motor for about $300 more. Would this be a good idea for now?

Thanks for all the great ideas and information. This is a lot to digest.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post

I paid $400 for everything. You mentioned a planer in the list of major machines (perhaps must haves?). I can get a Jet open stand planer with a top mounted motor for about $300 more. Would this be a good idea for now?

If you have the cash and the room to store it, why wait? For me, sooner is always better than later. Plus, you said you're retired. In my book, that means you've paid your dues. Buy whatever you can afford as long you can still pay your essential bills.

I look forward to helping you and seeing what becomes of your shop as well as what type of projects you build.
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

More is DEFINITELY more!!!

Assuming it's in good shape, yes. What size is it? 15"? If so, that's a really good price. You're beyond lucky with the prices you're getting here.

Make sure to do some research on the milling process. Via another recent thread on this forum, I was shocked by how many woodworkers (who have been at it awhile) do not understand the difference between the functions of a jointer and a planer. You absolutely need both (and a table saw) to make straight, flat, and square stock. Nearly every single one of your projects will require you to use these 3 machines.

You bet! You're at a very fun stage right now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Tarantino View Post
    before unloading that 5 hp 3 phase motor, check out some of these links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOxNjsuUrZA

http://www.factorymation.com/Product...M50-203-C.html

as well as this thread on a VFD applied to a 3 phase BS by a SMC forum member:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...light=band+saw

regarding your set up question, "how do I set up the work area to make best use of the limited (2000sq') floor space"?

2000 sq' is limited floor space? you're kidding, right? in the NYC tristate area, that would never be referred to as "limited space".
    I mentioned "limited" because the space was found to be a home for just about every orphaned thing we own (mostly my wife's never used possessions) and a tractor that I had to buy to maintain a very long driveway. If the space was 5000 sq. ft. the shop area would still be limited. As for the 3 phase motor, this is becoming complicated. Wouldn't it be simpler to just get another motor considering that all the other tools are single phase? I noticed on the Jet website that this saw also comes with a 3 hp motor. Would it be OK to get one of those instead of a 5 hp motor?

I noticed on the Jet website that this saw also comes with a 3 hp motor. Would it be OK to get one of those instead of a 5 hp motor?
    Probably not a bad idea. But while you're at it, do your research on the specs of the motor (mounting style, shaft diameter, RPM, rotation direction, etc), and see if you can't get a better one than the one Jet would send you if you order from the parts list. Manufacturers often jack up their prices on replacement parts, but you might be able to find an American made baldor for the same price that will be relatively plug and play.

I don't know much about wiring, but you may also need to buy a new switch for the 1 phase motor as well.

....... Would it be OK to get one of those instead of a 5 hp motor?
    yes, but it would probably cost more than a VFD like the ones i linked previously.

Wow, sounds like you got a great deal!

Get a proper sized VFD for your 3 phase unit and don't look back!

Wait, you have a 2000 sq ft shop and for now, 4 tools, and you're worried about limited floor space Man, I wish I had your problems. LOL

As for the tools, $400 for the lot is a great deal. However, round here, if you don't have any pics, it didn't happen

And now for the bad side of the deal and some more details. Pics will follow.

The trunnion bracket that supports the Jet band saw, cast iron table is bent. I suspect the bracket will have to be replaced. A new blade is also required. As mentioned before the Jet cabinet saw has a 3 phase motor that will have to either be replaced or power converted. The saw also for good or bad has a Delta Uniguard and a 52" Xacta fence. The saw is right tilt, which I understand isn't the most preferred orientation. The jointer and belt/disc sander seem to be in good shape though.

And now for the bad side of the deal and some more details.
    I just want to help confirm that you got a good deal, even after paying to take care of any problems.

Additionally, 2000 sq ft is a problem many of us would like to have!! Enjoy!

Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Lornie