Thread: Exploring Chinese LED UV Flatbed Printers

Exploring Chinese LED UV Flatbed Printers

In the Engraving Thread "Refocusing Your Business" it was mentioned that someone had a Chinese LED UV printer that cost about $10K. I had been exploring the Direct Color DCS1024UV in the Ink Cups version with the aftermarket Rotary Jig. It would be a + $38K unit and that is a big investment. After seeing the post about the Chinese Version I searched for Flatbed LED UV Printers built around the Epson 4880 Printer.

Having followed the Chinese Laser Engraver Threads, I thought this would be a good place to Explore the Chinese LED UV Printers. I found many.... I have many questions about the Service, Drivers, Ink, Parts, Shipping, and more.

Getting into a small format flatbed to do stuff like Reflective License Plates and Tags would be great for about $10K.

I welcome your input.

AL

Here is a Jan/Feb 2013 PDF on LED UV Flatbed Printers that has some great info.

http://www.padprintmachinery.com/fil...rticle113R.pdf
    Last edited by AL Ursich; 04-03-2013 at 1:54 PM.
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

I still have many contacts in the sign industry, most that I do laser jobs for, and those doing flatbed work have spent more like $50,000 for long-established name brand equipment such as Gerber and HP. They did so because they have established customers that they used to serve with digital printing on film, then applied to the substrate, so by switching to flatbed they save steps (labor) and have confidence in being able to meet deadlines on large jobs. One did talk about buying a Chinese model for backup, but hasn't yet.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I was looking over on Signs 101 tonight and I found this topic twice... Back in 2012 with little interest and one from 2 weeks ago with a bunch of posts. Many Points and Counter Points... There are many Large Format Flatbed users on that forum. I posted under digitalwoodshop.

AL
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

I think the biggest problem is just how much risk you're comfortable taking. I see a lot of people use "hope" as part of their plan, i.e. "I hope it works out". I don't like to spend $10,000 on something and then have to "hope" it's going to work out. But, that's just me. You might be different. Before I'd consider it, I'd take myself down the worst case path- what am I going to do if 6 months after installing it, it doesn't work right and I can't get help in fixing it. If I don't have a solution for that scenario, then I'm out. If I have a solution for it, then it might be worth considering.

I have a customer that just bought 2 brand name flatbeds, the small ones. Paid about 4x the number you're quoting. I was actually surprised at the speed, they are a lot slower than I thought they would be.

Before you commit, you might consider how long it takes to print some of those items. You might be surprised at how long it is, meaning the profits and production levels might not be very high.

Just some things to think about. You like to fix electronics, so it might be right in your comfort zone, but for me, it's too far outside my comfort zone for that kind of money.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Very Good Points...

I was thinking about this later in the day... "HOPE".... Yes, that would be a big part of it... That is the bummer of going Cheap... I think Clint said it best.... "Do you feel Lucky.... Punk?"

Thanks,

AL
    Last edited by AL Ursich; 04-04-2013 at 7:09 PM.

Hi first let me say I am no expert in printers
    but I have looked at importing a flat bed printer and when you look at the cost side of it it is a very good option I did find a company that make a small flat bed printer with a rotary gig for doing candles and a tray golf balls as I understand it it can print onto just about anything I got some samples from them and was pleased with them and at a cost of $1800 (its not a UV printer]its a very way to put your toe in the water
    I do intend to buy one after I get my laser engraver
    if anyone wants pic of the samples let me know
    hope that’s a little help

Some of the cheaper flatbed printers you have to pre coat so the ink sticks. I you want to do candles, I recommend water slide decals. The printers I have seen worked off of a
    Epson 1280 printer, impressed at first, but the more I looked the more I think I wouldn't be happy with it. Technology is moving fast and am waiting til the bugs get worked out
    of the lower end printers. A few years back believe it of not a company was converting 1280's in their garage..... I have thought about playing with an old printer that had a slide in
    for printing to CD's and seeing if it would work for coasters...
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    I have a customer that just bought 2 brand name flatbeds, the small ones. Paid about 4x the number you're quoting. I was actually surprised at the speed, they are a lot slower than I thought they would be.

Before you commit, you might consider how long it takes to print some of those items. You might be surprised at how long it is, meaning the profits and production levels might not be very high.

Just some things to think about. You like to fix electronics, so it might be right in your comfort zone, but for me, it's too far outside my comfort zone for that kind of money.
    One thing to consider about the speed is the "relative speed" compared to your current process. I currently dye sub plates for a customer and would use this technology to replace that process. The extra time in printing would eliminate the time to print, tape to substrate, press, remove print and cool down. So, the printer may be slow compared to others but it would be very fast compared to dye sub and I would only have to touch the substrate twice, once into the printer and once into the shear to cut to size.

Gary

I am the guy who has mentioned that UV flatbed printer. I promised Al to check this thread. Sorry it took me so long.

I am still happy with the printer although I have had to replace dampers and connectors that connect the onk tubes to the dampers. Some of them were not properly sealed and air was getting inside ink lines. Tech support was very good at the beginning but now I am waiting for 10 days for a reply to my tech question which I need asap. The question was actually related to this air problem but it was taking them so long to reply and I decided to replace them at my own cost.

This delay in tech support is kind of weird considering they were always helpful and fast with replies before.

If anybody wants to ask questions about this printer I am happy to answer them.
    There is not too much information on the Internet about small UV printers made in China. I know because I was trying to find some and I could not. So I understand that any details about them can be quite helpful for those looking to buy this type of printer.

Thanks for the Update Mike !!!!

A thread on Engraving Etc on Flatbed UV LED Printers has some interesting information too.

The question of durability of printing on things like Zippo Lighters is of interest to me along with durability on plastic name tags and pens when you have time.

Thanks,

AL

Al

I'll be going to the NBM show in Indy at the end of the month and I'll keep an eye peeled for printers while I'm there. I will caution you though--what i know about printers can be contained in a very small thimble.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

And what I know is mostly in my dreams.... Other than getting a few samples and doing a lot of reading and posting....

Look forward to hear what you find.

AL

My DCS 1024UVDD was installed yesterday and I am now officially trained! I spent a few hours last night playing with my new toy - I mean testing my new piece of equipment, and I have to say that I am one happy camper!

This thing is amazing! It's really well built, solid and high quality. The RIP is very powerful and has more features than I'll use in a lifetime, let alone learning them...

All I have printed so far is the Pantone color palette on a few sheets of 1mm pvc, but today I'll start working on samples for my customers - data plates, tags, tiles and anodized aluminum parts - the possibilities are (almost) endless! I thought dye sub was amazing, and it is, but the fact that I can print directly to almost any substrate is so much nicer. Plus, this thing has the capability of printing layers so I can actually print quasi-3D and even print braille dots!

It's a fairly big purchase, more than my laser cost by quite a bit, but the return on it should be pretty quick!

I'll post a new thread with some pics of the machine and some samples, right now I have to get back to playing - I mean testing...

I'm looking for Chinese UV Flatbed Printers to print on Acrylic/Plexiglass. Did anybody made a succesfull purchase and/or has any knowledge on this subject?