Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 6mm Plywood, cutting problems on Epilog 40 watt Zing.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Berry View Post
    Steve, thanks for the reply, what are your other settings ie: DPI and frequency?
    12s/100p/500f are the settings I use for vectoring.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Berry View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I have bought some very good quality 6mm Birch plywood, but am having great difficulty cutting it, I have used the Epilog setting of 20% speed, 100% power and 500HZ frequency, this setting takes three passes to cut and the wood is very charred and burnt, I have tried my own settings but to no avail.

After trying many settings I am down to 10% speed 100% power and can do it in two passes but the charring is still very bad.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
    Peter
    Some high quality european birch ply (EuroBirch) is made with a phenolic based adhesive (an exterior water proof glue) and does not laser cut well where as Russian Baltic Birch uses an interior type adhesive and cuts well.
    Neal Schlee

Machines:
    ULS X2-660 120 watt SuperSpeed
    Multicam Pro 102 Dual Z CNC Router & Multicam 44 Plus Dual Z CNC Router
    Shop Built Custom CNC Machines
    Mutoh VJ 1204 Wide Format Printer
    55" Laminator
    Graphtec 54" Vinyl Cutter
    Sublimation Equipment
    Sand Blasting Equipment
    Various Woodworking Equipment

Software:
    Aspire, Enroute, Flexi Pro 10.5, CorelDraw X6 to name a few!

Thanks Neal and everyone else for their help, I have given up now, I can cut 8mm MDF like a "knife through butter", but not this particular plywood, I have tried multiple passes and many settings but the edge is still charcoal.

Most likely it is exterior glue being used or it could be a Chinese version that uses Poplar for the core. True Baltic Birch will cut clean and have brownish edges. Once in a while you will get a black poof of smoke and it won't cut all the way through... It seems, in my opinion, that they (the russians) are stacking the center core with less than BB grade and they are a little more prevalent in knots than normal. OK for CNC and mechanical cutting but not as nice for laser when cutting lots of small items.
    Have a Blessed day,

Michael Kowalczyk

Laser-Trotec Speedy II 60 watt with 9.4.2 job control and will soon upgrade to JC X
    Corel Draw Suite X6, FlexiSign Pro 8.62, AI CS3 and Lasertype6

CNC Routers-Thermwood model C40 with 4th axis. Thermwood Model 42 with dual tables and dual spindles with ATC for high production runs,
    ArtcamPro 2010_SP4, EnroutePro 5.1, BobCad v21 & v24, Aspire v8 and Rhino 5.
    FOTC link
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?cp=210&lp=0&t=0&q=

I always heard running at 100% power is bad for the laser and eats up the tube very quickly. Any truth to that?
    Brian Saban

Epilog Laser Mini 24/40w, Quattro air filtration system
    Makerbot Replicator 2 3D Printer
    X-Carve CNC 1000
    Vacuum Former Table
    And to much more fun stuff in the shop to list

Trotec recommends 80w for 1/2, other posters are correct that's too thick for the wattage.

Most likley it is true I replace my tubes about every three years 40 and 60 watt epilog run 8 hours a day 6 days a week so about 7200 hours of run time. just warrentied out my last tube i just got 1y 9 m. old
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    45 watt Epilog Laser, 60 watt Epilog Laser,
    Plasma Cutter, MiG Welder
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe
    Shop Smith V510, To many hand Tools and
    Universal Repair Kit (1- Hammer and 1- Roll of Duck Tape)