Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jim Becker- Compressor auto drain?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser
    I put the same unit on my compressor and it is working very well. I replaced the fittings and nylon hose that came with it with copper tubing and compression fittings from the hardware store.
    That is a great idea. I should have thought of that. I used a thicker plastic hose, and had to search all over the place for a compression T that woud fit.

Blog Entries
    I'm with George. I think a 100 psi blow off an an unexpected time is unsafe. I have a smaller compressor mounted on the wall with a galvanized 6" long 1/4" vertical nipple coming out of the tank drain with a lever handle ball valve at the bottom. Opening it once a week is plenty unless you have some major use and a lot of humidity. The 6" nipple will store a fair amount of water before it needs emptying. You could achieve the same with a street ell and a horizontal 6" nipple if you leave the compressor on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by George Summers
    Maybe I'm lost but; why auto-drain?
    Purely convenience for me...my system stays charged 100% of the time and I travel a lot on business. This keeps any moisture out of my tank and consequently out of my lines. Since my system is in the cyclone closet, I don't even hear it fire off. There is so little condensate in the system now, that I don't even need to bother with a bucket...

Why is this important to me? Because I've already ruined two finishes due to moisture, causing me much extra work and grief. If I just shot nail guns I almost wouldn't care. But the water bourne finishes I spray don't like even the smallest trace of water in the lines. The auto-drain combined with about four separate (and different) types of filters are worth it to me. The auto drain, however, as you point out quite well, is not required...there are less expensive ways.

BTW, the unit I'm using is an electically controled valve and is independent of the compressor, unlike the HFT unit. I scored it for $62.50 including shipping of "that auction site".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...