Thread: Morehead City NC

Morehead City NC

Has anyone lived in or visited the area around Morehead City, NC? Right now, I'm looking around for an alternative place to reside, outside of the urban center. Morehead City looks great for fishing, crabbing, etc.

Has anybody been there? Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Steve

I believe one of the seasons they have there is one we have down here too: Hurricane Season.
    Regards,
    Dick

You should get some good pictures of hurricanes there.

You can find nice places to live all along the NC coast. Morehead has good fishing. It's not as likely to see direct hurricanes as say the outer banks, but anything is possible. Just north of Morehead is the Cape Lookout area and Harkers Island; a favorite of mine many years ago, but can't give you first hand info on anything current.

Good luck with your search. If you like NC, the Asheville area is pretty hard to beat.

Perry

Blog Entries
    Moorehead City used to be where the Navy Amphibious ships loaded and unloaded Marines and their equipment for exercises and deployments tot the Med. It looked pretty isolated when I was there back in the 70's and early 80's with the Navy. No telling what it is like 40 years later.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks for the responses guys, I'm trying to plan my summer around visiting some different areas. If I move to Morehead City, I'm going to have a pontoon boat beside the house all loaded up with hurricane supplies. I'll be riding them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holbrook View Post
    If you like NC, the Asheville area is pretty hard to beat.

Perry
    As for Asheville, I've heard for many years, from many people, about how nice it is.

If you decide to buy a place in Morehead City, there are definitely some nicer sections of town. Beaufort is just across the waterway and is nice as well but probably more expensive. There is lots of great fishing, hiking on the shoals, crabbing, etc in the area from what I hear.
    Last edited by Dick Strauss; 04-04-2013 at 10:45 AM.

Stephen,

I lived in Greenville, NC for four years. About all I can tell you about Morehead City is that I went through it on my way to Fort Macon a couple of times. I really like the beach at Fort Macon. Much more family oriented than Atlantic Beach.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cherry View Post
    As for Asheville, I've heard for many years, from many people, about how nice it is.
    As for Asheville, I grew up there and my folks still live there. It isn't the haven that I grew up knowing. It has gotten too big for LOML which is one reason we are no longer there. There are a lot of things that I still like about Asheville, but really depends on what you're looking for. There is a vibrant art community, but you also have the vibrant kook community that goes along with it. A lot of retirees move to the Hendersonville/Henderson County area, which is about 20-25 minutes south on I-26. If you like horses you may want to consider Polk County which is just south of Henderson County. We definitely don't have to worry about hurricanes although the mountains do occasionally get severe rainstorms that result from them.

If you want more detail about the mountain region of NC let me know.

Cheers,
    Charles
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

Make sure you check out property insurance rates before making a decision. The insurance companies have been taking a real hard look at their risk profiles of the East and Gulf coastal areas in the last 5 years. Some major companies aren't even writing new policies in certain areas, leaving the business to state-government backed insurers of last resort.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Make sure you check out property insurance rates before making a decision. The insurance companies have been taking a real hard look at their risk profiles of the East and Gulf coastal areas in the last 5 years. Some major companies aren't even writing new policies in certain areas, leaving the business to state-government backed insurers of last resort.
    That's a good point. I'm already trying to figure out the flood maps.

I guess this year I'll need to load up the car with Doritos and Mountain Dew and check some of these places out. I've lived all my life in Maryland, but the situation here is becoming more and more unsatisfactory. My property taxes have doubled over the economic crisis, and now we have a hundred and one new taxes coming in. (I've even seen them using binoculars to look in at cars to see if a seat belt ticket can be given). I can basically work any place that has a good internet connection. I have some time left to work and save for retirement, and I'm thinking that just living somewhere else will give me that much more money when the time comes.

And there are lot's of nice places out there to choose from. Florida, NH have no state income taxes (at least on normal income from a job). NC may be a happy medium of nice climate, nice people, reasonable cost of living. Plus, it has fishing, crabbing, etc.

Morehead City is nice, Beaufort is nicer. Laid back and relatively peaceful. Insurances are not that heavy, taxes are lowish and property is cheaper than you might think. PM me with a cell and we can talk if you like. Good searching.

Ted