Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: laser sublimation

laser sublimation

HI all
    I am trying to understand how to put colour on objects and wonder if somone could explain laser sublimation

thanks in advance

Blog Entries
    Nutshell... print your design onto specially coated paper using a color laser printer, or use special toner and print onto regular paper. Heat press design onto substrate that accepts toner.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

The second part of Dan's explanation is accurate relative to laser sub. You can use plain paper for laser sub but you must buy sublimation toners which are only available for a few printers. The most popular one is the HP 4550 which is a discontinued model but they can still be found from rehabbers.

There is another process which uses special paper but regular toner called color laser transfer. The advantage of this process is that it can be applied to virtually any substrate.

There are previous threads on the topic if you want to try a search.

There is another process called dye sublimation which you can research as well.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Hi

I have spent hours reading old posts and the more I read the more confused I am I phoned magic touch in the UK very nice but again they gave me a few options but there was no process that they sounded confidant about The thing is I am about to buy a laser printer so wanted to buy the best one so if anyone could suggest one for colour laser transfer or colour laser sublimation

Thanks again

Frank

I'm afraid you may have a hard time finding a new color laser printer that you'll be able to find sublimation toner cartridges for. I think your best bet is to use the MagicTouch color laser transfer process. It's more durable than it used to be and much more flexible than sublimation. Paper is available from several suppliers here but I have no idea about what's available in the UK.

People here are using Okidata and Konica-Minolta printers with success. MagicTouch offers drivers for one of the Okidata printers and they are handy in this process but not essential.

One thing you should be aware of--you can't print on white substrates with laser sublimation. Ghosting occurs every time without fail. That means if you want to do metal you'll have to work with silver or gold colored materials.

Here's another site you might find interesting. http://www.transferbusiness.com/?pageto=webmap.htm
    Last edited by Mike Null; 04-05-2013 at 5:11 PM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    The second part of Dan's explanation is accurate...
    Only the second part? What did I miss?
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Only the second part? What did I miss?
    The first part, obviously
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Dan

I'm giving you an "incomplete" on the first part of the test.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Hi all
    a big thank you to all of you and a star for Dan

I will look into the laser sublimation
    Can I ask another question ? when you speak about drivers can you explain? on this side of the world when we speak about drivers we mean the pc speaking to the printer and via versa

thanks again

I have no experience with Magic Touch but I have an HP4550 and a Ricoh Dye Sub machine. I would suggest the Ricoh setup over the HP4550 all day long. You can do a lot more with the Ricoh machine and I find the quality to be superior in almost every way. The HP setup does have some positives. It's operating cost is lower, prints significantly faster, the press dwell time is a bit shorter, and you can press on regular brass/aluminum.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

The printers sold by MagicTouch have been fitted with their drivers which refer to their specific varieties of paper and settings.

I use an HP 4000N for black laser sublimation. I bought it refurbished a few years back and it has been a solid money maker. For color I use the cLT process.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Thanks again

I do see how those drives could be a big help when starting out
    do you know if they would sell me the drives if I dont buy the printer as I am in Ireland and shipping costs are high from the UK

Thanks again

I doubt it but it can't hurt to ask. Everything will work fine without those drivers and they may give you the comparable values instead of the driver.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

They sell it, but only for the same printers they sell. It's $200 and it's listed here (for the Oki model 610) :

http://www.themagictouchusa.com/p934...duct_info.html
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Thanks again I will give them a call in the morning but I don’t think I will be able to charm the drives off them if they cost $200 but I will give it a shot
    I take it if I cant get the drives it doesn’t matter what make of printer I buy or should I still go with the Oki as they might be difficult to get in Ireland

thanks again your help is much appreciated as I know little about printers