Thread: Wood dust and lung cancer association

Exclamation Wood dust and lung cancer association

Greetings to the SMC - I came across this article today and felt I should bring it to the "collective attention". A couple of points - it does not differentiate between how much "dust control" was present, nor the total length of time of exposure - only that it was more than a year. Also note that the risks of wood dust and smoking are additive as they relate to lung cancer.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=top align=left width="100%">Wood dust linked to increased lung cancer risk </TD><!-- SCCS NewsTitleEnd @(#) /dvlpmnt/sccs/prod/tmplt/updates/s.NewsTitleEnd 1.1 03/03/19 --><TD vAlign=top align=right></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <!-- -- END NewsTitle -------------- --><!-- ------------------------------- -->
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=left width="100%">May 9, 2005
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- ------------------------------- -->
    <!-- processing NEWSSTORY -->NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Recent findings support the hypothesis that wood dust exposure may increase the risk of lung cancer, according to Texas-based researchers.

"Wood dust was designated as a human carcinogen based on increased sinus and nasal cancer rates among exposed workers," Dr. George L. Delclos and colleagues from the University of Texas, Houston, point out in the April issue of the American Journal of Industrial Medicine. "However, data on an association with lung cancer have been inconclusive."

In a case-control study, the researchers compared self-reported wood dust exposure in 1,368 lung cancer patients and 1,192 cancer-free adults. Among criteria for exposure were employment in wood dust-related occupations and industries and self-reported regular exposure to wood dust for at least a year. In total, 262 subjects were categorized as exposed.

The investigators consistently observed significantly increased adjusted risk estimates using several definitions of wood dust exposure. For combined wood dust-related occupations and industries, the adjusted odds ratio (OR) was 3.15. The adjusted OR for exposure overall was 1.60.

The team notes that the association was consistent across all histopathological types and that there appears to be a biologic interaction between wood dust exposure and cigarette smoking.

"The adjusted OR for wood dust exposure in absence of smoking was 1.57," they observe, "for smoking in the absence of wood dust exposure the OR was 1.71, and for the individuals who were exposed to both smoking and wood dust the adjusted OR was 2.87."

Am J Ind Med 2005;47:349-357.

Kurt,

Welcome to the Creek and thanks for posting.

Bob
    bob m

AAwe Heck

Well I am a goner,
    I have been huffing Pall Malls just as long
    as I have been breathing wood dust, cement dust,
    spackle dust and dust dust.
    Good news though, all the way back to the Vikings,
    no one in my family has succumbed to cancer.
    Alcoholism, heart failure, lost at sea and the long swords of the conquered,
    yes.
    It is nice to know I am going to be a pioneer.
    All kidding aside, thanks for the article.
    Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence