Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help me rearange my shop-Gorilla arrives Tomorrow!

Blog Entries
    Ok boys,
    Here is version 2 of my layout. I have rearanged things using many of your suggestions. It became pretty clear that I needed to get some actual dimensions instead of relying on my best guess. I added several wall dimensions and resized some of the objects.

After trying to find a new home for the lumber rack and MS, I decided to leave them where they are now. I have been making large cabinet type projects and I have been using the open area by the dbl doors as an assembly area. This causes many extra steps. It looks to me like the new layout now has 2 open areas, one in front of the TS and another between the assy table and the finish room.

I also decided to color code a few things. Red means its on rollers, green (as in green with envy) means its on the wish list.

Ken suggested I add a sanding table with dust collection, I think I may be able to upgrade the assy table to incorporate a dust port. By the way Ken, how did you grab my drawing and modify it? That's really cool!!

[Edit added after uploading picture]
    It just occured to me that I could move the DC back to the outside wall next to the desk. this would allow more room befor I had to make a bend in the ductwork. I think the ductiong would be above the breaker box door. What do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 05-14-2005 at 9:15 AM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Hey Larry, changes noted. With all due respect, though, I think that jointer placement is going to cause you headaches. Or, more accurately, bruises to your lower extremities! Remember, that's the business side of your TS. Not only that, but it also looks to be like it's the main path to your wood storage. So, you'd be threading your way through that stuff getting wood into storage, then again taking it back the other to work with it. Yes, I realize that the Woodmaster is mobile, but moving stuff around all the time gets old. Besides, THAT shop is big enough that you can just about get away with zero mobile bases! I'd probably then move the router table parallel with the assembly table. I like where you put your tool cabinet in respect to the workbench and I also agree with moving your DC back to the outside wall, giving you a bit more "bending" room to get to the CMS station and BS, which I'm sure you'll have in no time! Hey, just MHO's, nothing more. You've got a GREAT space there and YOU know a heckuva' lot better than anyone here what your needs and working habits are like. Just hope we can add a little bit of insight and personal experience in helping you make adjustments. OR, you can do it EXACTLY as WE say and then have an excuse for the first time something screws up!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Just watch your working heights with that arrangement, Larry, to be sure that your jointer and planer don't interfere with any crosscutting activity you may do at the table saw. It's important to remember that for some tools the material handling space is not necessarily in one direction. I know I tend to "hang off" the left side of the table saw top in those situations. Other than that little comment, looks great!

Consider running some air lines out to both your workbench and your assembly area, rather than using long hoses, too. I just made that change and I know I'm going to love it!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Hey Larry, changes noted. With all due respect, though, I think that jointer placement is going to cause you headaches. Or, more accurately, bruises to your lower extremities! Remember, that's the business side of your TS. Not only that, but it also looks to be like it's the main path to your wood storage. So, you'd be threading your way through that stuff getting wood into storage, then again taking it back the other to work with it. Yes, I realize that the Woodmaster is mobile, but moving stuff around all the time gets old. Besides, THAT shop is big enough that you can just about get away with zero mobile bases! I'd probably then move the router table parallel with the assembly table. I like where you put your tool cabinet in respect to the workbench and I also agree with moving your DC back to the outside wall, giving you a bit more "bending" room to get to the CMS station and BS, which I'm sure you'll have in no time! Hey, just MHO's, nothing more. You've got a GREAT space there and YOU know a heckuva' lot better than anyone here what your needs and working habits are like. Just hope we can add a little bit of insight and personal experience in helping you make adjustments. OR, you can do it EXACTLY as WE say and then have an excuse for the first time something screws up!
    John, I am very interested in your thoughts on my layout because you had said that your space was about the same as mine. Where would you move the jointer? I have already about decided to remove the wheels from the planer (might put them to the router table)
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Interesting thread....I'm learning! Keep it going please!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Consider running some air lines out to both your workbench and your assembly area, rather than using long hoses, too. I just made that change and I know I'm going to love it!
    Jim,
    I have 2 air drops from the ceiling with retractable reels. One above the TS and the other between the assy table and workbench (current layout) Plus, there is an air drop in the corner formed by the bathroom and finishing room, and another in the finishing room. fed by the same line inside the wall. I did this during construction. And one more on the wall next to the room with the compressor.

Also, you have a good point about the height of each tool. The jointer bed is below the TS, but the fence is about 2" above it. And the Planer is quite a bit taller than the TS.

I gotta go mow the yard and weed eat, then go to town for SWMBO and a couple of honey do's. Then maybe some shop time. I'll check back ASAP
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 05-14-2005 at 11:13 AM.
    Larry J Browning

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning
    John, I am very interested in your thoughts on my layout because you had said that your space was about the same as mine. Where would you move the jointer? I have already about decided to remove the wheels from the planer (might put them to the router table)
    As a BIG believer in flexible tool placement and mobility, I am suggesting that you do not remove the wheels. In fact, I think you should add a base to your jointer. I know that you have a LOT more space than I do, but you may still want to move machines around from time to time.

First: thank you all, I am learning a lot from this thread about wood shop design.

Here's another thought: it seems when I have to enter my shop to quickly retrieve something, that "something" is usually in my tool cabinet. I would consider putting the tool cabinet close to your most-used exterior door, so you can "reach in" and grab that socket set or screwdriver without crossing the shop floor.

With most shops that's not an issue, but yours is so large it might be something to consider as a convenience factor.

- Harvey

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Chute
    First: thank you all, I am learning a lot from this thread about wood shop design.

Here's another thought: it seems when I have to enter my shop to quickly retrieve something, that "something" is usually in my tool cabinet. I would consider putting the tool cabinet close to your most-used exterior door, so you can "reach in" and grab that socket set or screwdriver without crossing the shop floor.

With most shops that's not an issue, but yours is so large it might be something to consider as a convenience factor.

- Harvey
    Hey!! It's Harvey!!!
    Harvey is the guy that drew all these great tools objects in Viso. Welcome to the Creek Harvey. There is always lots of great info here.

If you have Visio you should download Harvey's Woodshop Stencil at:
    http://home.comcast.net/~hchute/woodshop_visio.htm
    Larry J Browning

Hi Larry! I guess that's why my original "plan" made for the jointer & planer to be situated perpendicular to the TS. In your last rendition, it looks like you've moved the TS further right. Personally (and this is just ME!), I would move it back a bit further to the left and position your jointer & planer in the opposite direction, as suggested earlier. I have found that configuration does not impede work for either, the TS or milling work and you've even got more room than I do! But alas, you did indicate that you like that area open for assembly. Now, weird and coincidental as this may sound, but I do much of my assembly or glue-ups in that area, as well! There really is a substantial amount of room between those machines. I guess maybe what you can do, seeing as to how you have basically a "clean pallet" is do something like what Frank P. did and tape off proposed areas and just walk through the motions of typical work flow.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!

Hi Larry,

I like your revised layout much better than the original one.

I also agree with John M about the jointer placement. I think you would be much better off if you spun the jointer and moved it over to be right next to the planner.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Hi Larry! I guess that's why my original "plan" made for the jointer & planer to be situated perpendicular to the TS. In your last rendition, it looks like you've moved the TS further right. Personally (and this is just ME!), I would move it back a bit further to the left and position your jointer & planer in the opposite direction, as suggested earlier. I have found that configuration does not impede work for either, the TS or milling work and you've even got more room than I do! But alas, you did indicate that you like that area open for assembly. Now, weird and coincidental as this may sound, but I do much of my assembly or glue-ups in that area, as well! There really is a substantial amount of room between those machines. I guess maybe what you can do, seeing as to how you have basically a "clean pallet" is do something like what Frank P. did and tape off proposed areas and just walk through the motions of typical work flow.
    John, I am confused (normal for me) Are you saying that I put the jointer and planer in front or back of the table saw? Or just turn it around 180deg so that the feed direction is from the back of the TS to the front?

Also someone suggested that I put the jointer and planer right next to each other. The planer was my father's circa 1978 and need quite a bit of TLC. It is a heavy duty beast, but I tear it down quite often and I really need easy access to all sides. [Edit] Maybe I should leave the planer on wheels and then when I need to work on it I can disconnect the DC and move if for eaiser access.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 05-14-2005 at 5:26 PM.
    Larry J Browning

John, I am confused (normal for me) Are you saying that I put the jointer and planer in front or back of the table saw? Or just turn it around 180deg so that the feed direction is from the back of the TS to the front?

Also someone suggested that I put the jointer and planer right next to each other. The planer was my father's circa 1978 and need quite a bit of TLC. It is a heavy duty beast, but I tear it down quite often and I really need easy access to all sides. [Edit] Maybe I should leave the planer on wheels and then when I need to work on it I can disconnect the DC and move if for eaiser access.
    Hey Larry, pardon the mess, but if you check out the "Shop Tour" site:
    http://www.shoptours.org/shop_tours/...miliunas2.html , I think the 1st, 2nd and 4th pics should give you a bit better visual of what I mean. Although the planer is to the backside of the jointer, it's "skewed" a bit to where the end of the outfeed on the jointer just barely overlaps the outfeed of the planer, hence leaving room all the way around. Leaving your planer mobile and a short piece of flex would even allow more lenient placement. My setup would not really allow for the workbench to remain where you have it, though. FWIW, I have both, the planer and the jointer on mobile bases, but have not had a need to move either since I planted them! And, like I said before, you've got even more room and less "stuff". When I layed mine out, I did have a number of restrictions, because the building was existing, as were power drops and I have no way of going underneath, as it's on a slab. Also, like yourself, I drew up a floor plan, changed stuff, lived with it for a few days, looked again, redrew it and so on. After about the 6th revision, I thought it was pretty good. Surprisingly enough, in practice, there have not been any major changes done to the original plans!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Blog Entries
    Ok Guys, we're gettin close!
    I have made some minor changes from the last drawing. I flipped the jointer and planer feed direction and moved them next to each other. I also moved the TS forward to be more even with the door. This should give me enough crosscut room for a 12" wide board. The board would also have to hang over more than 4ft to the left of the blade to hit the jointer fence if the board or panel is wider than 12". I think that will be rare to non-existant. I moved the DC to the back wall of the Utility room (I really don't have a name for that room, any sugestions?) to give a little more straight ducting before the 1st bend. I also put the router table on wheels, and added the clamp cart that I had previously forgotten. What do you think? Anymore sugestions?

John,
    I am going to need some convincing about the perpendictular idea. Would you place the jointer in front of the TS toward the bench or the door? And where would the planer be? I looked at the pictures of your shop, and I am still confused

Larry
    Larry J Browning

John,
    I am going to need some convincing about the perpendictular idea. Would you place the jointer in front of the TS toward the bench or the door? And where would the planer be? I looked at the pictures of your shop, and I am still confused

Larry
    Hey Larry, I think the last changes you did go a long way, but to possibly give you a bit better idea of what I meant with the jointer/planer placement, I've thrown together a quick sketch of what my shop basically looks like, mainly as it relates to the jointer/planer. Obviously, the bench would have to go elsewhere. Again, only MHO, but I personally figure that my WORKbench be closer to the ASSEMBLY bench, being as to how one directly relates to the other. In other words, I don't think I'd be able to work very efficiently with those two items so far apart. For me especially, that's NOT a good thing, 'cuz I'm alreadey slow!!! Anyhow, here's the rough shot I have of it.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas