Thread: Vermont Lap Desk?

Question Vermont Lap Desk?

I have some Ash boards. Trying to finalize a plan for a "Vermont Lap Desk". One of the Ash planks is a 3/4" by 10 by 19" long. Might make a decent top/writing surface? Two others are from the same plank, and would be available to make the sides. Other bits of Ash are sitting around the shop, in need of something to do. Bottom will just be a piece of plywood.

Hinge details? Angle at the hinges? This will be mostly a handtool project Ideas out there???

Blog Entries
    My only thought with Ash is that the grain tends to ripple on the face surfaces over time. It might make it interesting to write on.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Jefferson used those ,and pictures and articles are easy to find.

Working on the parts, right nowSDC14858.jpgSDC14872.jpgSDC14883.jpgSDC14884.jpgSDC14890.jpgSides and the front piece. Planing a piece for the hinged area (an ex-rafter) DTs for the front corners, laid out for the back piece, and adding a rabbet to the back piece. All reclaimed lumber. Still need a dado for the back corners, and a groove, or rabbet for the bottom to sit in. Pencil groove added later???