Thread: Infinity Tools Saw Blade

Infinity Tools Saw Blade

Recently purchased a Sawstop PCS and new Forrest WWII 40t blade. I have used Forrest brand WWII blades for the past 25 years and have always been happy with the cuts they produced so it was a bit surprising when I mounted the new blade on my Sawstop and the cuts were lousy. Lots of saw marks on both cross and rip cuts. It had to be a bad blade...so I packed it back up and got a refund from Amazon and decided to look elsewhere. I read about Infinity Tools zero clearance throat plate for the Sawstop and checked out their web site....l purchased their ZCI and decided to try their 10" Super General 40t saw blade #010-044. I received it this afternoon and must say the results are fantastic...what I was expecting from the WWII I had used for so many years. If you are in the market for a saw blade give Infinity tools a look!

Jim
    "Your beliefs don't make you a better person...your behavior does."

Jim....at the recommendation of Jim O'Dell here at SMC, I purchased the Infinity Glue-Line Rip and another of their blades for my SCMS. I have had fantastic results with both of them!

Glad to see you are having similar results!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Jim - Sorry to hear about the issues with your Forrest. I'm hearing some rumblings that quality isn't quite the same since the old man passed away, but it could be just internet rumor, so maybe you just had a rare defect.

I've used several Infinity saw blades, and a few of their router bits, and every single one has impressed me a lot. It's nice to hear that I'm not alone! I've actually compared the WWII and the Super General side by side, and find that the SG leaves a more polished edge and less tear out. As general purpose blades go, it's super for ply, fine crosscuts, and exposed edges. The WWII is slightly more efficient at ripping thicker materials, but the SG definitely leaves a finer cut IME and can handle most thicknesses up to the point where a rip blade should be used. For those who don't know, the founder of Infinity Tools is David Venditto...the son of Carlo Venditto who was the former president of Freud USA, and then founder of CMT USA, and Jesada Tools before selling that business. He's undoubtedly been well groomed for his line of work, and spent some time in his father's business prior to starting Infinity.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

You guys are making it very difficult. I need a new blade for my SawStop and have considered the Infinity Super General. Now with your comments, I am going to have to give a purchase requisition to my Chief Financial Officer (wife) and try to seek approval. It make require a project that just must have the new blade.

Thanks for the comments and review.

Infinity is top notch!!! I'm a bit prejudiced, however.

Hi Jim,
    Does the coating on that blade interfere with the flesh sensing technology of the SawStop? I'm in the same boat, setting-up my PCS and looking into a combo blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Swanson View Post
    Hi Jim,
    Does the coating on that blade interfere with the flesh sensing technology of the SawStop? I'm in the same boat, setting-up my PCS and looking into a combo blade.
    Shouldn't be a problem...the hub is left uncoated.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 04-13-2013 at 4:57 PM. Reason: fixed typo
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Swanson View Post
    Hi Jim,
    Brad:
    No problem at all. One more benefit...this blade is very quiet. Pretty amazing!

Jim
    "Your beliefs don't make you a better person...your behavior does."

You’re missing the boat. Oshlun SBW100040, 40-tooth general purpose blade from Carbide Processors at about $25 is the best kept secret in woodworking. Smooth, clean cuts and you can buy four for the price of a WWII or Infinity.

Will you refund shipping to and fro?

I'd try one at that price for sure, but it would have to be very good for me to keep. How can you sell them so Inexpensively if they compare to a top of the line blade?

Thanks, Dan
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 04-16-2013 at 1:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hahr View Post
    ....I'd try one at that price for sure, but it would have to be very good for me to keep. How can you sell them so Inexpensively if they compare to a top of the line blade?
    Dan - It's subjective, but I have one in my shop and have used it satisfactorily on many occasions. It's a good bang for the buck, but there's no way that I'd rate as directly comparable to a premium blade like the Super General, WWII, Gold Medal, TS2000, Freud Fusion, etc, in cut quality. If the top shelf blades rate "A" to "A+", I'd rate the Oshlun as a "B" to "B+" in absolute terms, which is really pretty good for a $25 blade. It's surprisingly well made, with large carbide, and appeared to be brazed and sharpened well. It does leave glue ready edges, which is really as good as it needs to be for many applications, but it also leaves slightly more blade marks and slightly more tearout than the best of them do. Keep in mind, that's a sampling of one of the Oshlun 40T blades, which may or may not be representative of the whole population....some may give the premium blades a true run for their money, but I think it's asking a lot.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 04-15-2013 at 5:25 PM.

Thanks, Scott. I want to replace my ts blade, but I'd rather put my money towards something that I know is great. I've had good luck with Freud, and I can still afford them. I'd pit more towards a $100 blade if I knew it was guaranteed to stay sharp longer. The last time I had blades sharpened, it was almost $40 after they replaced a couple of teeth that had tiny chips.

Thanks, Dan