Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oily Rags Cause Fires?

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    Alkyd paints contain drying oils and can combust also. Spread the rags out flat until they dry, then dispose of them in a metal trash can you keep outside.

Believe it or not, I had a potted plant spontaneously combust on my deck. Fortunately I had to come home to meet my landscaper to get some mulch put down, and oh hey look, what's that smoking over there? Apparently, just the right mix of peat moss and other stuff, a clay pot to hold in heat like an oven, a good hot day and just the right amount of moisture, and VAVOOOM. When I got close to the plant/tree thing that my wife executed, I touched it and it flopped right over. The roots were completely gone and it was just balancing on the trunk.

I apply Waterlox with an abrasive pad.

Between applications, I put it in a ziploc bag and squeeze out the air.
    This gets wrapped in a plastic grocery bag, also twisted tight to keep air out.

I learned this from painters that would wrap their rollers in empty bread bags, between coats of paint.

When finished with a project, I take the same precaution with the applicators and put the lot in a sealed coffee can - away from the house.

I have secondhand experience with an amateur setting fire to his new wine store after a marathon refinishing session.
    He left the still-damp rags in one of the yet-to-be finished cubbies he had built.

The shop was gutted by the resulting fire, but the commercial building was spared.
    Only the sprinkler system preveneted a total loss.

FOUR rags used to apply a deck stain started the fire.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I don't worry about which ones supposedly do spontaneously combust - I make sure ALL my finishing tags are layed out flat to dry or hang over the edge of my trash can.
    I treat all finish rags this way, too. I lay them flat on the driveway until dry no matter what was on them.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Believe it or not, I had a potted plant spontaneously combust on my deck. Fortunately I had to come home to meet my landscaper to get some mulch put down, and oh hey look, what's that smoking over there? Apparently, just the right mix of peat moss and other stuff, a clay pot to hold in heat like an oven, a good hot day and just the right amount of moisture, and VAVOOOM. When I got close to the plant/tree thing that my wife executed, I touched it and it flopped right over. The roots were completely gone and it was just balancing on the trunk.
    That would look funny on a fire marshal's report!