Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wood type used in this cabinet

wood type used in this cabinet

I need to make cabinet for friend that matches this wood. not really sure what wood type. i know not oak but maybe stained cherry?DSCN2556.jpg
    Code:
    DSCN2557.jpg
    Last edited by eugene thomas; 04-11-2013 at 8:52 PM.

Well, the moulding is oak, but the cabinet looks like poplar. It may be maple or birch. Was it homemade? Oak and poplar are about the only hardwoods you can find at our local big box stores.

Dan

Sure looks like red oak from the pictures.

The trim is oak but not the cabinet. I'm going to guess poplar. Stained of course.

Agree the trim is oak and the panel is poplar.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Hamsley View Post
    Agree the trim is oak and the panel is poplar.
    +1. However, some more pics of the cabinet would be helpful.
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

More is DEFINITELY more!!!

i never though about two different woods. anyway heres pic of that shows more of the wood below trim..april 2013 001.jpg

Kind of interesting that the lower crown has a glue line in the middle.

Looks like a home made cabinet to me. I agree it's oak on the crown, but the cabinet looks like it could also be maple. If you have access to it it will be easier to tell as maple is so much denser than poplar.

JeffD

Crown is definitely Oak, case is probably S.Maple or Poplar. Most embossed mold is run in Poplar, S.Maple or Basswood.

Tony
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

The cabinet does look like it could be Maple. It could be the camera angle, but there is some uneven coloration in the cabinet (blotching) which is one of maple's good/bad qualities.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    There are a lot of woods that look like that. I doubt it's poplar; it's not a 'usual' choice externally, stained case goods.

It is more likely maple or birch.

A couple things to note: making this out of birch or maple will require some care to be taken during the coloring; this appears to be stained and maple and birch both blotch when stained.
    Poplar may not be "usual" for you or your region, but it is used in some regions of the country. A lot of commercial furniture manufacturers use a mixture of species and stain them all to match. Secondly, Poplar is an excellent wood to emboss, which is what the carved looking mold to the right is(embossed). Highly unlikely that the embossed mold is Birch or Maple, surrounding woods, maybe.
    Last edited by Tony Joyce; 04-12-2013 at 4:04 PM.
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

I stand corrected. My bad.

Cabinet looks like sycamore to me.

Agreed- the crown is oak. In the first picture, the right-most vertical face frame piece looks a whole lot like poplar to me. It often has that ray-fleck/cross-grain pattern.

Poplar can have some wild color variations- purples, grays, yellows, etc. It can look really interesting, depending on what you're going for... But you might have to pick through the lumber a bit to find consistent color. I personally wouldn't recommend it for a stained project. It's awesome for painted projects though.