Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Japanese Planes - Anyone that can help tune - Or can I send them to someone to tune?

Japanese Planes - Anyone that can help tune - Or can I send them to someone to tune?

I purchased a year ago 2 japanese planes while I was in Japan. I have made a token effort to tune them, but am desperately scared of ruining them in the process. The irons are sharp (That was easy), but I can't seem to get a good shaving to come from them.

Is there anyone that knows Japanese planes that would consider tuning them for me, or anyone in the greater Salt Lake City, UT area that knows and can tune them?

Thanks,

Brent
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!

Additional notes, one is a smoother, and one is a rabbet-style plane. I will add pics later.

I wouldn't mind tuning them for you, but that sort of misses the point the next time they need tuning. I'd suggest that you buy Toshio Odate's Japanese Woodworking Tools (http://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Woodw...s=toshio+odate), follow his directions, then come back with questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Curtis View Post
    I wouldn't mind tuning them for you, but that sort of misses the point the next time they need tuning. I'd suggest that you buy Toshio Odate's Japanese Woodworking Tools (http://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Woodw...s=toshio+odate), follow his directions, then come back with questions.
    Jack, Thanks for the book recommendation. I have placed an order. Other than sharpening, what other types of repetitive tuning do they need?

See if there's a woodworking club in your area, or driving distance, and might be lot easier to have it done locally

Wilbur Pan will probably chime in here but in the meantime, here is a link to info on his website

http://giantcypress.net/tagged/Japan...20setup/chrono

Here are a series of videos that are very good, on tuning a Japanese plane.

How to prepare a kanna blade

How to tune up a kanna part 1

How to tune up a kanna part 2

How to tune up a kanna part 3

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Ring View Post
    Jack, Thanks for the book recommendation. I have placed an order. Other than sharpening, what other types of repetitive tuning do they need?
    As you sharpen the blades, the blades get shorter, which is somewhat of concern because the blades increase in thickness as you approach the top of the blade. Therefore, you need to open the abutments holding the blade in place as the blade wears. This isn't a huge problem, but it's something you need to know about and how to handle.

The other main issue is the smoothing plane doesn't have a flat sole, so as the sole wears you need to put the shape back into it. This is typically done with a scraping plane (sold conditioning plane) or a regular scraper.

You've already gotten a lot of great advice. I think that the key is that it's not that hard to set up a Japanese plane. If you have the ability to fit a mortise and tenon joint, you have the ability to set up a Japanese plane.

If you get stuck, PM me and I'd be happy to set the plane up for you.

Thanks to DW for embedding these videos.

This is the first demonstration of conditioning the sole that makes it sound practical.
    I particularly like the very essential set up the videographer uses - nothing hideously expensive required.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Thanks to DW for embedding these videos.

This is the first demonstration of conditioning the sole that makes it sound practical.
    I particularly like the very essential set up the videographer uses - nothing hideously expensive required.
    The videos by Sumokun are very good. I was glad to see that he does a lot of the same things I do when setting up a Japanese plane, even though he's on the other side of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur Pan View Post
    The videos by Sumokun are very good. I was glad to see that he does a lot of the same things I do when setting up a Japanese plane, even though he's on the other side of the world.
    True, although I typically make two-point smoothers rather than 3-point and seldom bother with the subblades. His source for his plane is Inomoto-san, who also probably advised him. Sound familiar?