Thread: CL Powermatic 50

CL Powermatic 50

Looking for some opinions of value...I'm guessing $200. The story was it was used in a cabinet shop 20-30 years ago then stored for a long time. Original owner. Thanks for your help!!

I paid about 200 for a pea green one that had several coats of ugly paint, "patina" on the beds, and a three phase motor. I wouldn't be suprised if one table on these things weighs as much as a whole late Jet. Its a really nice jointer. Not uncommon for the fence to warp out at the ends. Not really an issue on mine as it was the upper corners that had fallen back a bit. In the middle it was easy to set perpendicular and with that the machine worked great. Just something to watch. If the corners warped forward it would be more of an issue.

I found out that the head on mine was not parallel with the beds--an easy quick fix with some shim stock (AKA a soft drink can.) I also ended up putting a Byrd head on mine which led to me wanting a Byrd head for a planer. One thing led to another and I ended up with a J/P combo and really wasn't using the 50 so I sold it.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    I ended up with a J/P combo ...
    Thats really the way I'd like to go....Can you get good results with a combo machine?

I'd say $300+. If it made in the USA it would get a premium. I believe that era is when they switched. Very high quality jointer. Well maintained they can last a long time. I think new they were a grand.

I bought a '70s era green one as part of a package. It was a bit rusted and somewhat of a mess. Nothing moved. Complete tear down and restore. All original was still in tact, just needed a good deal of attention. Looked and worked great once done. Sold for $500.

That's American made. I have one, paid $400 for mine a bit more than 10 years ago when the new American made ones were going for 3 times that. Good machine.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

My only opinion is if it was mine I wouldn't sell it for $200 Values vary greatly depending on where you are, and of course on condition of the machine. It looks to be in pretty good shape so if everything mechanically checks out I'd put my guesstimate would be in the $400 +/- neighborhood.

good luck,
    JeffD

FWIW, I paid $200 for a Delta 6" from the late 60s. The PM in the picuture has more of the modern jointer features relating to fence and table adjustment, plus has a mobile base. This one probably has the new head arrangement that makes setting the knives a little easier. I would say that if you got it for $400 or less, its a good deal as long as the condition is decent and no abuse.

PS: I have a set of brand new knives I orderd from Delta that will likely work on that machine, they won't work on mine. PM me if you are interested. Otherwise, I bought some knives from Infinity and they are much thicker than the stock knives that were on the old Delta. The new Delta knives I have are thicker too, but not as thick as the Infinity knives.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bixby View Post
    Thats really the way I'd like to go....Can you get good results with a combo machine?
    Definitely! I've been really happy with my decision to go to a Jet J/P combo.