Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HF 2 HP dust Collector and Oneida Super Dust Deputy

HF 2 HP dust Collector and Oneida Super Dust Deputy

Has anybody used these two together? I am looking to buy a dust collector and will probably end up getting the HF model because of price and reviews.

My shop is a two car garage and all the tools are on wheels. The dust collector would sit in the corner with a main run of about 15' with a couple of drops that I can wheel the tools to and connect.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks,

Keith Heyer

I'm considering the same configuration for a new DC. However, I see a few people have the misconception that a preseparator or cyclone increases the airflow of a dc. Preseparators of any kind do two things only:

1) They prevent 'a lot' of dust going to the actual dc filter, which postpones clogging, and *maintains* airflow longer than without it. Don't expect to see a lot of improvement in your collection; just expect for the initial performance to last longer than without one.

2) The preseparators are usually easier to change out than those confounded ring and bag that throws all the dust back at you as you remove it.

If you are after maximum airflow, then couple your collector with as short, straight, uninterrupted, and wide ducts as possible.

I'm in the same boat man. Similar setup and needs. I used to have the HF DC.i honk mind was 1.5HP though. I'd like to keep mine in my attic or crawl space though to make matters more difficult... LOl!!! I'm thinking of a cyclone as well. I just looked for the Wood Magazine issue with the dust collector shoot out to no avail.
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

More is DEFINITELY more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Dunn View Post
    I just looked for the Wood Magazine issue with the dust collector shoot out to no avail.
    You can find it on Oneida's website.

Hope it's a big boat, cause I'm in there too.

I'm just re-building my shop to gain a couple of hundred sq ft. Got a no name 3hp, 4 bag DC for cheap (ya gotta luv Craig's list) and re-built it...Came out real good. Now looking for a cyclone and filter set up. Been looking at Bill Pentz's site. Might try too build a cyclone from his spread sheet data. Probably end up like my cousin who was learning quick draw...Blew his right toe clean off...gud shootin cuz.

The HF 2hp DC is rated surprisingly well. It will probably work well for a small shop. Wonder if anyone has hooked two of those things up in parallel for higher cfm with 6" or larger pipe?

Cyclones are more problematic. My experience with Oneida's customer support and service has been very poor. I would not use them as a supplier at this point.

As I mentioned Bill Pentz's site has been helpful. A company that builds a cost effective cyclone to his specifications is "Clear vue", well built and well proven. I've even been thinking about building a cyclone out of 3-4mm polycarbonate sheet with adhesively bonded joints...there goes another toe.

Also there are some boys on eBay that build a reasonably priced cyclone. I've used their 4" unit. We callled it "The Black Hole" because the clear bag under our cartridge filter never had any dust in it...ever, but the trash can was always full. Here are current links to their listings.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280840027122...84.m1423.l2649
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/281067825681...84.m1423.l2649

Good filters can be purchased from Wynn for a fair price. Wynn is sort of a standard for filters.

6" pipe and fittings seem to be harder to find especially at a good price even in PVC/ABS. Ideas, suppliers??

Good luck in your DCC quest...kunk
    Larry Kunkler

Bridge City Woodworks
    Beaverton, OR

"Wood Art From Nature"

Larry, have you seen this Craigslist offering? http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/tls/3687888199.html

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Kunkler View Post
    Hope it's a big boat, cause I'm in there too.

I'm just re-building my shop to gain a couple of hundred sq ft. Got a no name 3hp, 4 bag DC for cheap (ya gotta luv Craig's list) and re-built it...Came out real good. Now looking for a cyclone and filter set up. Been looking at Bill Pentz's site. Might try too build a cyclone from his spread sheet data. Probably end up like my cousin who was learning quick draw...Blew his right toe clean off...gud shootin cuz.

The HF 2hp DC is rated surprisingly well. It will probably work well for a small shop. Wonder if anyone has hooked two of those things up in parallel for higher cfm with 6" or larger pipe?

Cyclones are more problematic. My experience with Oneida's customer support and service has been very poor. I would not use them as a supplier at this point.

As I mentioned Bill Pentz's site has been helpful. A company that builds a cost effective cyclone to his specifications is "Clear vue", well built and well proven. I've even been thinking about building a cyclone out of 3-4mm polycarbonate sheet with adhesively bonded joints...there goes another toe.

Also there are some boys on eBay that build a reasonably priced cyclone. I've used their 4" unit. We callled it "The Black Hole" because the clear bag under our cartridge filter never had any dust in it...ever, but the trash can was always full. Here are current links to their listings.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280840027122...84.m1423.l2649
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/281067825681...84.m1423.l2649

Good filters can be purchased from Wynn for a fair price. Wynn is sort of a standard for filters.

6" pipe and fittings seem to be harder to find especially at a good price even in PVC/ABS. Ideas, suppliers??

Good luck in your DCC quest...kunk

Lloyd,

Thank you very much for the lead on the cyclone on our local CL. I called right away and left a message that I wanted to buy the unit. It's exactly what I need for my new DC/C system. Again, can't thank you enough...kunk

p.s. give me a call sometime (pm for phone and em). We can get together and share war stories.
    Larry Kunkler

Bridge City Woodworks
    Beaverton, OR

"Wood Art From Nature"

Just to clarify the preseparator in the second post: If efficient, they remove many of the coarser material, but at the expense of reducing airflow. If the DC is large enough, this can be minimal, but as pointed out, use shorter, straighter runs to minimize static pressure (and airflow) losses. A 2 HP HF DC is a good starter system for a small shop; a Pentz design cyclone with a decent blower will undoubtedly be better (I have a CV1800).

If I were to build my own 2 stage cyclone system. What type of 3HP motor shield I look for? What are some good reliable brands? I know Leeson is good. Too pricey though...
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

More is DEFINITELY more!!!

Leeson makes a good motor as does Baldor. Whats more important is the impeller aspect ratio i.e. thickness to diameter. Pentz recommends around a 14" dia impeller. This is a size that would require around 3-5 hp@3450 rpm.

For less expensive motors, blowers, and cyclones in that range try Craig's List Grizzly, Penn State or eBay.

I was able to get a no name, 4 bag, 3hp collector on CL for ~ $200. The motor and impeller are in great shape (that's all I'm using) and will mount directly on top of my cyclone. The cyclone is a large custom designed (Pentz), unit built of 16ga st. and full TIG welds, with a full welded stand that I also got off CL, new for $100 (thanks Lloyd). I will be ordering a Wynn 9L300 filter soon. I'll end up with a, compact, high performance DC/C as good as anything out there for less than $600 including full 6" main duct and 6" flex drops. Yup, ya gotta luv CL....kunk
    Last edited by Larry Kunkler; 03-23-2013 at 2:35 PM.

Keith,

I just put together the same system you're interested in. I made mine into a cyclone with the Super Dust Deputy (the new plastic one), and I also incorporated a Wynn 1425C filter. This is my first central dust collection system, and so far I'm very pleased. At this point, only my tablesaw and planer are connected to the DC, but it seems to do just fine one machine at a time.

Van

2013-03-26 DC 2.jpg2013-03-26 DC 4.jpg2013-03-26 DC 6.jpg2013-03-26 DC 8.jpg

welcome to the forum. nice DC modification. but it might not be a bad idea to get some drywall on those walls. it'd be a shame for a spark to find it's way to the flammable vapor barrier of that nice warm insulation.

Finishing the walls is on my list of things to do, but I wanted chip collection on my planer more!

I noticed you have an adaptor on the trash can and the SDD, where did you get it or did you make it yourself? Look like your system is piped in 4"? I was thinking of getting one myself. What type of outlet adaptor did you use on top of hte SDD? I am going to use my Delta 50 - 760 as the collector.

The 4" unit on ebay why did you stop using it? I was thinking about the same one, can it be used with a system (4" duct work about 40' total)? If you are not using it would you sell it? I noticed the the bottom of the cyclone is 3 3/4" with 6" flange.