Thread: Stair for loft storage areas.

Stair for loft storage areas.

My shop is a Monitor style barn that has a loft on each side of the downstairs that is between the downstairs and the upstairs. If you are not familiar with the Monitor shape it's the barn that has an upstairs over only the center of the downstairs and the rest of the downstairs on either side is covered by a roof that intersects the sidewall of the upstairs. As an afterthought I put a loft on each side of the downstairs for storage. The loft floor is 87" from the floor of the downstairs. I use half of an A frame ladder with a 2x4 cleat on the end to hook onto the loft floor along with a rope hanging from the rafters to climb into the loft. I'm trying to figure out a better ( safer) access stair. I have considered getting a metal rolling stair and cut it down to the height I need. The problem with these is they take up a lot of space. I have also considered building something like a ships ladder with the railings on either side so I have something to hold on to. The main issue is I need something to hold on to ascending and descending especially while carrying something; which is most of the time, and the pitch of the ladder I currently use is steeper than I would like.
    I have also considered buying a ceiling mounted attic stair and somehow suspending it off of the entrance to the loft or build a stair that hinges off of the entrance to the loft and pull it up with a pulley when not in use.

As you can see, I have been thinking about this for a long time. I'm just looking for other ideas or suggestions I may not have thought of.

Thanks

Chris

Hi Chris,
    I think I follow what you have. I have seen this arrangement in barns where the livestock pens are on the sides, with a loft above them.

A couple of ideas:
    1. Put in a vertical ladder on the wall to acces the loft. Install a beam and trolley with a chain fall or hoist connected to it. You could then use that to get items off the loft. You could build a basket to go on it as well. Also, you could use a milk crate or something with a rope attached to it to move smaller items.

2. Put in a regular stair and run it parrallel to the wall. You would need a small landing at the top and some handrail. You would still have storage space below the stairs for other items.

Mike

Do you have one point of access to the loft? Or is this (the ladder) something that you move along to access different points of the loft? Actually, 87" is sort of short. You have less than an 8' ceiling on the sides of the barn?

I agree with Michael that if it is a single access point, a trolley and hoist would be a good way to eliminate having to carry the items on the ladder. And your idea of the ships ladder with railings seems like a good idea.

Thanks for the ideas guys.

The ceiling is 10 ft downstairs and much higher at the doorway to the loft because it is under the side roof. Downstairs I only have access to the loft from one end but I can also get in there from the side at the other end from the upstairs where I have a 36 " door opening.
    I did it this way because the only place you can walk in the loft is towards the inside due to the sloping roof and since the loft is 20 ft long I can put long pieces of material up there from the end access. I usually carry really heavy stuff upstairs on a refrigerator dolly then I can just lift it from the floor while standing in the loft.Eventually the loft space will be attic when I get the barn under climate control.
    I like the block and tackle idea, been thinking about putting one upstairs to get things up there instead of the stairs. I would put stairs paralell to the wall but one of the lofts has an office space below and the stair would interfere with the door to that space, on the other side it would just be in the way of some things. I could do this with a pull down stair though and I'll think about whether I would be comfortable just using a wall mounted ladder and rope/bucket to carry stuff.
    All good ideas, thanks again guys.

Ok, I was picturing that you were entering from the middle downstairs section and wasn't sure if you had access all along the upper side section. You're saying you access the upper side section through the ceiling of the lower side section.

If you posted some pics, we might be able to give you some better ideas. I see a barn similar to what you are describing at a neighbors place, and it would make a great woodworking shop. How big is your barn?

It's about 40x36 downstairs, 40x18 upstairs. It's a relatively new barn about 10 years old, stick framed 2x6 throughout. I'm finishing it myself and it's been a long project but I've produced a lot of work out of that barn.
    I'll try to post some pics. I'm about to start building a rolling door for the area under one of the lofts and it will be easier to photograph then.
    thanks
    C

What is the distance between the floor of the loft and the roof at the edge of the loft? Would you have headroom if you put a stair there?

I don't know about stairs, but this thing is fantastic for moving stuff to/from my garage loft

http://www.harborfreight.com/880-lb-...ist-44006.html

Take a look at alternate step stairs, they save a lot of space.
    /www.google.com/search?q=alternate+stairs&hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS29 3&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=zCp4UaitI4fH4 AO3uoHgAw&sqi=2&ved=0CF4QsAQ&biw=1366&bih=659
    Richard

Would something like this work?

http://www.bessler.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wolf View Post
    Take a look at alternate step stairs, they save a lot of space.
    /www.google.com/search?q=alternate+stairs&hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS29 3&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=zCp4UaitI4fH4 AO3uoHgAw&sqi=2&ved=0CF4QsAQ&biw=1366&bih=659
    Do they comply with code?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Milito View Post
    Do they comply with code?
    Not to a living area, only to storage.
    Richard

Thank you Bob, I think that would work very well and would be a fun project to build.